The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Small Board Questions

Guest Guest

I am on a small board of something similar to an HOA. When writing up the agenda does the secretary of the board send it to the chairperson for approval? Does the secretary of the board then have permission to send it to the entities office staff for resident dispersal prior to their monthly meeting? Or does the secretary of the board have to send it themselves to residents for the upcoming meeting?

On 3/16/2023 at 5:07 AM, Guest Guest said:

I am on a small board of something similar to an HOA. When writing up the agenda does the secretary of the board send it to the chairperson for approval? Does the secretary of the board then have permission to send it to the entities office staff for resident dispersal prior to their monthly meeting? Or does the secretary of the board have to send it themselves to residents for the upcoming meeting?

RONR has nothing to say about who makes or  send round the draft agenda. It is more a matter of custom and standing rules.

RONR is in favour of a standard order of business with broad categories of business above an detailed agenda.

What is important under RONR  is that it is only a draft agenda, it can be amended and still needs to be adopted before becoming the agenda.

More important is what your bylaws and state laws have to say. 

For statelaws go to the website of the home owners protection bureau hope.co lots of information about the legal sides of HOAs

On 3/16/2023 at 5:50 AM, Rob Elsman said:

The board should determine the basis of its authority to prepare an agenda for a meeting of the general membership. I suspect that there is none, and the board is likely way out of bounds.

What do you mean by this?

I am questioning on what authority the board is preparing an agenda for a meeting of the general membership assembly. I am betting there is none, and I am guessing that the board is exceeding the boundaries of its authority.

So, on what basis does the board have the power to prepare this agenda for a body other than itself?

On 3/16/2023 at 1:07 AM, Guest Guest said:

It's not clear to me whether we're speaking of board meetings, membership meetings, or some combination of the two.

Since RONR does not require an agenda at all, in fact recommending against it for most societies, anything regarding who prepares or approves the agenda would be found in your own rules, or perhaps just customs.

On 3/16/2023 at 9:23 AM, Gary Novosielski said:

It's not clear to me whether we're speaking of board meetings, membership meetings, or some combination of the two.

Since RONR does not require an agenda at all, in fact recommending against it for most societies, anything regarding who prepares or approves the agenda would be found in your own rules, or perhaps just customs.

It’s a board meeting of a SID(Suburban Improvement District) with 4 current commissioners.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.