The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who is Allowed to Physically Change the Agenda

Guest Guest

Title says it all. Board of 4, agenda was sent out for owner publication prior to meeting next week(72hrs required), between leaving the secretary hands down to speak and being sent out. Wording has been changed. Items removed from new business and placed above all business and it was discuss and vote on new board member appointment. Is that allowed? Probability of non board member doing the changes is 95%

What sort of an organization is this?  

If items were accidentally placed in New Business, then they probably should be removed, and place in either Special Orders or, probably, Unfinished Business and General Orders.  Whether it's allowed or not depends on your customized rules.  RONR has nothing to say about it because if the rules in RONR apply, any draft agenda is open to change at will by the board at the start of the meeting.  If anything isn't right, they can just fix.  Whoever is writing up the draft agenda can presumably make changes up until the time it is presented at the board meeting.

But if you have some other rules about who prepares the agenda, what do they say?

I can imagine a situation where the appointing of a new board member (presumably filling a vacancy) would best be handled earlier in the meeting so that the vacancy could be filled and the new members seated to be able to participate in the remainder of the meeting.

I get the feeling that you're leaving a lot unsaid.

On 3/17/2023 at 4:48 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

What sort of an organization is this?  

If items were accidentally placed in New Business, then they probably should be removed, and place in either Special Orders or, probably, Unfinished Business and General Orders.  Whether it's allowed or not depends on your customized rules.  RONR has nothing to say about it because if the rules in RONR apply, any draft agenda is open to change at will by the board at the start of the meeting.  If anything isn't right, they can just fix.  Whoever is writing up the draft agenda can presumably make changes up until the time it is presented at the board meeting.

But if you have some other rules about who prepares the agenda, what do they say?

I can imagine a situation where the appointing of a new board member (presumably filling a vacancy) would best be handled earlier in the meeting so that the vacancy could be filled and the new members seated to be able to participate in the remainder of the meeting.

I get the feeling that you're leaving a lot unsaid.

It is a local community board. There was no accident of items added to the wrong area. Adding the 5th board would just add more issues as they are being appointed and chairperson is trying to stack the deck to have the majority and this potential board member doesn’t bring anything else other than being a “yes” person.

All new business items are involving current board issues(lawsuits, employees quoting etc) and then we had Discuss and Vote on Board Applicant.

When agenda was published to property owners that item was removed. I’m laced before old business and new business and changed to Vote Board Applicant in via the local JP.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.