The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing voting threshold to more restrictive

Steven P

We are about to vote on a controversial subject, one of the members is asking if the voting threshold can be changed for this vote from Majority to two thirds. Robert's does not provide a method for changing the threshold by a subsidiary motion to more restrictive and our bylaws are silent on this. Since this is not a vote requiring two thirds, I would have to rule that any motion to increase the threshold would be out of order.  I do not think suspend the rules would be appropriate for this either as this does not provide for it's own suspension.

On 3/19/2023 at 8:25 AM, Steven P said:

We are about to vote on a controversial subject, one of the members is asking if the voting threshold can be changed for this vote from Majority to two thirds. Robert's does not provide a method for changing the threshold by a subsidiary motion to more restrictive and our bylaws are silent on this. Since this is not a vote requiring two thirds, I would have to rule that any motion to increase the threshold would be out of order.  I do not think suspend the rules would be appropriate for this either as this does not provide for it's own suspension.

The requirement of a majority vote for adoption is a rule of order. This rule may be suspended by a two-thirds vote in order to change the vote required for adoption to two-thirds. 

Agreeing with Mr. Honemann, I would not that the rule could not be suspended in advance of the session where the vote is being taken. 

In addition, you might want to take a look at 2:14, 2:21, 10:26 fn. 1, and 25:2 fn. 5.

It does not need to provide for its own suspension.  Not only is it clearly in the nature of a rule of order, but it is contained in RONR, not in the bylaws.  As such it can be suspended by a two-thirds vote.   

That would be sufficient to raise the threshold as high as two thirds.  If it were desired to raise the threshold higher, say, three-fourths, then it would take a three-fourths vote to suspend the rule.

On 3/19/2023 at 11:00 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

It does not need to provide for its own suspension.  Not only is it clearly in the nature of a rule of order, but it is contained in RONR, not in the bylaws.  As such it can be suspended by a two-thirds vote.   

That would be sufficient to raise the threshold as high as two thirds.  If it were desired to raise the threshold higher, say, three-fourths, then it would take a three-fourths vote to suspend the rule.

I think it would only take 2/3 to suspend the rule and raise it higher.

On 3/19/2023 at 11:00 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

On 3/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, J. J. said:

I think it would only take 2/3 to suspend the rule and raise it higher.

General Robert agrees (see Q&A 324 on page 518 of PL).

On 3/20/2023 at 6:09 PM, Dan Honemann said:

General Robert agrees (see Q&A 324 on page 518 of PL).

I read the cited question, as well as the quoted sentences in ROR that it refers to, and I still don't see the light.

This appears to be a clear example of the minority protection clause in SDC #7 of Suspend the Rules  [25:2].  And yes, a similar rule existed in ROR p. 87.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:40 AM, Gary Novosielski said:

I read the cited question, as well as the quoted sentences in ROR that it refers to, and I still don't see the light.

This appears to be a clear example of the minority protection clause in SDC #7 of Suspend the Rules  [25:2].  And yes, a similar rule existed in ROR p. 87.

SDC #7 refers to the suspension of an existing rule, e.g. a rule that would set a 2/3 threshold.  The current rule sets the threshold at a majority, so that would not violate SDC #7. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.