The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Failure to take negative votes

Guest John M

Failure to take the negative vote is a breach of the rules, but the result stands unless someone raises a timely Point of Order (§23) at the time of the breach.

This is the so-called YSYL rule:  "You snooze, you lose."   Whenever there is a substantive violation of the rules, all members have the duty to raise a Point of Order to call it to the attention of the Chair.  There are certain continuing breaches for which a Point of Order can be raised at a later time, which are covered in 23:6.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, Guest John M said:

Where 2/3 of the members voting is required for the motion to pass and no negative vote is taken, is the result invalid?

I’m not sure we understand exactly what your question is. Can you try rephrasing it? In particular, please let us know whether or not two-thirds of the members present and voting did in fact vote yes.

On 3/19/2023 at 5:22 PM, Richard Brown said:

I’m not sure we understand exactly what your question is. Can you try rephrasing it? In particular, please let us know whether or not two-thirds of the members present and voting did in fact vote yes.

I'm assuming the chair called for those in favor, but never called for those opposed.

On 3/19/2023 at 5:22 PM, Richard Brown said:

Of the members present, less than 2/3 voted in favor of the motion. No negative vote had been taken. If a negative vote had been taken, the yes votes may have been 2/3 of the members actually voting. This would have been possible if some of the members abstained.

What is the effect if any of the negative vote not being taken?

On 3/19/2023 at 7:13 PM, Guest John M said:

Of the members present, less than 2/3 voted in favor of the motion. No negative vote had been taken. If a negative vote had been taken, the yes votes may have been 2/3 of the members actually voting. This would have been possible if some of the members abstained.

What is the effect if any of the negative vote not being taken?

None, at this point. The vote is valid. A Point of Order regarding this matter would have had to have been raised at the time.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.