The Official RONR Q & A Forums

The rambling speaker? Can RONR help us?

Guest Biology Faculty

Guest Biology Faculty

We are implementing Robert's Rules to help our department meetings go more smoothly.  I think the rule that requires all the chance the speak before any individual speaks twice is something that could really work for us.  I know interruptions are forbidden under most circumstances, as well.  We do, however, have some really long winded, repetitive people who tend to hold up progress. Any tips on how to help rein them in appropriately and keep things moving along?

On 4/5/2023 at 1:11 PM, Guest Biology Faculty said:

We do, however, have some really long winded, repetitive people who tend to hold up progress. Any tips on how to help rein them in appropriately and keep things moving along?

RONR has time limits on how long members may speak. And the assembly is free to adopt a rule providing for a shorter limit if it wishes to do so.

"In a nonlegislative body or organization that has no special rule relating to the length of speeches, a member, having obtained the floor while a debatable motion is immediately pending, can speak no longer than ten minutes unless he obtains the consent of the assembly." RONR (12th ed.) 43:8

Also, the person having the floor must limit all remarks to those that are germane to the current pending motion.  If these members start to wander off-topic to matters that don't bear on the merits of the motion, the chair can remind them of this requirement, or a member may raise a Point of Order that the discussion has departed from what is germane.

Agreeing with my colleagues, I would suggest your organization adopt a special rule of order limiting speeches in debate to something like three minutes.  I've seen rules that permit only one minute, but in my opinion, that is a bit too short.  The ten minutes per speech permitted in RONR is simply too long for most organizations. On those rare occasions when a speaker is making really good points or a really good explanation on a complicated issue, the assembly can always grant the speaker some additional time by a two-thirds vote (or unanimous consent).  See section 15 in RONR (12th ed.) titled "Limit or Extend Limits of Debate". 

I agree with @Richard Brown that many ordinary societies will usually find the ten-minute rule too much to bear.

A motion to adopt a special rule of order is a form of a main motion; it requires a second; it is debatable and amendable; and, its adoption requires either (a) previous notice and a two-thirds vote, or (b) a majority vote of the entire membership (with or without previous notice).  See RONR (12th ed.) t6, motion 7.

If there are several suggestions for the number of minutes, the device known as filling blanks may be used to arrive at the assembly's best judgment.  See RONR (12th ed.) 12:92-113.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.