The Official RONR Q & A Forums

asking for reconsideration

Guest Don Stark

I asked the chair of our group to reconsider a motion that had just been voted on and approved.  He said I was out of order and that it was approved, "with your vote" he added.

Since I was on the prevailing side, don't I have the right to ask for reconsideration?

Thanks, Don

No.

You had the right to move that it be reconsidered.  The motion requires a second.

Asking the chair to reconsider it accomplishes nothing. 

If you had moved to reconsider, and the chair had ruled your motion out of order, you could have raised an Appeal.  You cannot appeal an answer to a question by the chair.  You can only appeal rulings.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 4/10/2023 at 9:49 PM, Guest Don Stark said:

I asked the chair of our group to reconsider a motion that had just been voted on and approved.  He said I was out of order and that it was approved, "with your vote" he added.

Since I was on the prevailing side, don't I have the right to ask for reconsideration?

Yes, you had a right to move the motion to Reconsider. The chair had things quite backwards - the fact that the motion was approved "with your vote" is precisely why you were able to move to Reconsider. It must be noted, of course, that the motion to Reconsider requires a second, is debatable, and requires a majority vote for adoption.

It's too late to correct this now, and you can't move to Reconsider at a later meeting, but you could move to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted. The chair will also need to do some reading on Reconsider for the future.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.