The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who is allowed to view DRAFT Minutes of Board Meetings

Ann McKay

I'm so grateful to have access to this excellent forum.   I'm the new Recording Secretary for a small non-profit organization, and my experience is pretty much zip in this voluntary role.  In the past, the Draft Board Meeting Minutes were distributed to Board members following a meeting, as well as to two city councillors who attend the Board meetings as representatives/liaisons. These councillors often weigh in on discussions and their remarks are recorded.  The new president of our little non-profit organization does not think the city councillors should see the Minutes until after they are approved by the Board at the following meeting, when the Minutes are then official documents.  Could anyone shine some light on what the proper protocol should be? Is anyone other than Board Members allowed to review draft Minutes? 

So far as RONR is concerned. no one has a right to see the draft minutes before they are presented for approval.  Before they are approved, they are simply the secretary's notes and have no official status. That said, if your organization has a rule )or an applicable statute) regarding distribution of the draft minutes,  that rule would take precedence over RONR. In the absence of such a rule, you may share, opr not share, the draft with anyone you please.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, Ann McKay said:

Could anyone shine some light on what the proper protocol should be? Is anyone other than Board Members allowed to review draft Minutes? 

I agree with Mr. Merritt.  It is up to you as secretary and/or the organization (or its board) to determine whether and to what extent you will share unapproved minutes.  Note:  The president does not have the authority to direct you as secretary as to how to do your job or who to share the minutes with.  That is your decision unless your organization or its board adopts a rule regarding the distribution of minutes, whether approved or unapproved (though members have a right to examine approved minutes).  Frequently there is never a written rule adopted regarding the distribution of the minutes, but rather a custom that develops over the years.  The custom can be followed as long as it does not conflict with a written rule.  If someone raises a point of order that the custom is in conflict with a written rule (whether in your parliamentary authority or a special rule of order adopted by your organization), the custom must fall to the ground in favor of the written rule.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.