The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How does a church conduct business without a quorum

Guest Jim Youngwood PA

On 4/22/2023 at 11:25 PM, Richard Brown said:

In some churches, the quorum consists of those who show up. We really need more information, specifically as to exactly what your bylaws say about the quorum at meetings.

Why? If the quorum consists of those who show up, then there are no meetings without a quorum and the question doesn't arise. If the quorum is something else, then there can be inquorate meetings, at which only very few things can be done. Why do we need more information?

On 4/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, Joshua Katz said:

The question asked was whether business may be conducted without a quorum. I doubt the rules say it may be. So the answer seems clear to me without more information.

I understand your reasoning.  But I also know that there have been occasions where the answer seemed clear based only on the information in the question, but on further inquiry proved to be more complex, or even the precise opposite, of what originally seemed clear.

On 4/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, Joshua Katz said:

The question asked was whether business may be conducted without a quorum. I doubt the rules say it may be. So the answer seems clear to me without more information.

My question relates to 40:2, 2).  A quorum may consist of the members attending a properly called meeting in this case.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:44 AM, J. J. said:

My question relates to 40:2, 2).  A quorum may consist of the members attending a properly called meeting in this case.

I'm sure that Mr. Katz is fully aware of what is said in 40:2(2), and I agree with him that the answer to the question as asked is also easily and correctly answered as he did, without the need of any further information.

I also agree that guest Jim Youngwood PA may find it helpful to know that in his case it may well be that, as Mr. Brown said, "a quorum consists of those who show up", and that, if provided with some additional information, those who have responded may be able to advise him if this is so.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.