The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Chair proposals

Guest LCNash13

On 4/24/2023 at 10:50 PM, Guest LCNash13 said:

Can the Chair (or Co-Chair) of a Committee, running their meeting, speak on a proposal during their meeting?

Can that Chair be the author/sponsor of a proposal during their meeting?  

Or must they relinquish the gavel/position?

Yes to the first two questions (the chair of a committeren has no obligation of seeing to be impartial avd may propose motions)

Secondssponsors are not needed under RONR

See the so called "small board rules" 49:12, they also apply to a committee of any size) see RONR 50:25 -26

The chair does not have to relinquish the gavel 

On 4/24/2023 at 5:50 PM, Guest LCNash13 said:

Can the Chair (or Co-Chair) of a Committee, running their meeting, speak on a proposal during their meeting?

Can that Chair be the author/sponsor of a proposal during their meeting?  

Or must they relinquish the gavel/position?

Those requirements apply to formal meetings of an assembly.  They do not apply in committees.  The Chair of a committee is a full participant and often the most active participant, in the meetings of a committee. 

On 4/24/2023 at 5:47 PM, puzzling said:

Secondssponsors are not needed under RONR

It would be "more correct" and less misleading to say that seconds are not required by RONR in committees.  The question, after all, was about committee procedures. Let's not give the impression that seconds aren't actually required in other meetings!

On 4/24/2023 at 5:47 PM, puzzling said:

See the so called "small board rules" 49:12, they also apply to a committee of any size) see RONR 50:25 -26

Your answer is technically correct, but I think referring to them as the "so-called" small board rules give the impression that they are in some way not official rules or diminishes their importance.   I will concede that RONR does not actually refer to them as "the small board rules" in a heading in the text, but it does refer to them repeatedly as the rules for use in small boards and in committees and it lists them in the index under the heading "Small Board Rules".  I would suggest that in the future you might refer to them simply as the "small board rules" rather than as the "so-called" small board rules.   That's your call.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:09 PM, Richard Brown said:

It would be "more correct" and less misleading to say that seconds are not required by RONR in committees.  The question, after all, was about committee procedures. Let's not give the impression that seconds aren't actually required in other meetings!

Your answer is technically correct, but I think referring to them as the "so-called" small board rules give the impression that they are in some way not official rules or diminishes their importance.   I will concede that RONR does not actually refer to them as "the small board rules" in a heading in the text, but it does refer to them repeatedly as the rules for use in small boards and in committees and it lists them in the index under the heading "Small Board Rules".  I would suggest that in the future you might refer to them simply as the "small board rules" rather than as the "so-called" small board rules.   That's your call.

Okay I will , it is an unfortunate phrase, maybe better for the next edition to have committee rules.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.