The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspending a Vote by Ballot

Tomm

I'm assuming that 45:20 should really have a reference back to 25:7?

You can, in fact, suspend the rule calling for a vote by ballot if the bylaw provides a provision to do so?

Or when it comes to elections is there some other prohibition of a parliamentary rule based on the protection of a members right to privacy?  

Yes, obviously if a bylaw provides for its own suspension, it can be suspended.  I've never seen such a provision in the case of ballot votes, except in the special case of unopposed candidates.  

The rule in RONR remains that such a rule is not suspendible even by unanimous vote.  

On 5/1/2023 at 12:43 PM, Tomm said:

I'm assuming that 45:20 should really have a reference back to 25:7?

Yes, I think a reference to 25:7 would be appropriate.

You can, in fact, suspend the rule calling for a vote by ballot if the bylaw provides a provision to do so?

Correct.

Or when it comes to elections is there some other prohibition of a parliamentary rule based on the protection of a members right to privacy?  

No. The rule in 25:7 is applicable to elections - indeed, it uses elections as the example.

"However, a rule in the bylaws requiring that a vote—such as, for example, on the election of officers—be taken by (secret) ballot cannot be suspended so as to violate the secrecy of the members' votes unless the bylaws so provide (see also Voting by Ballot, 45:18–24)." RONR (12th ed.) 25:7

Even if such a rule were to exist, it wouldn't matter, because the bylaws take precedence over RONR in any event.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.