The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Decorum and questioning the motives of a committee rather than a person by name

Guest Peter Deg

I assume that if one cannot question the motives of another member, that includes attacking the motives of a committee or board?  43:21.  At a recent member meeting the a member said in debate that he "felt like the board of directors didn't act in good faith."  Does this language violate decorum even though it doesn't use any person's name?

On 5/2/2023 at 6:32 PM, Guest Peter Deg said:

I assume that if one cannot question the motives of another member, that includes attacking the motives of a committee or board?  43:21.  At a recent member meeting the a member said in debate that he "felt like the board of directors didn't act in good faith."  Does this language violate decorum even though it doesn't use any person's name?

In my opinion it does not violate the rules of decorum, but I suppose this might be a case where I can see disagreement on whether or not it is.

On 5/2/2023 at 6:32 PM, Guest Peter Deg said:

It does, if the people present at the time think it does, and it does not if they think it does not.  I don't think it rises to a particularly objectionable level, but I wasn't there.

On 5/2/2023 at 5:32 PM, Guest Peter Deg said:

I assume that if one cannot question the motives of another member, that includes attacking the motives of a committee or board?

Yes, I think so. If it is out of order to attack the motives of an individual member, I think it is also out of order to attack the motives of a group of members.

On 5/2/2023 at 5:32 PM, Guest Peter Deg said:

At a recent member meeting the a member said in debate that he "felt like the board of directors didn't act in good faith."  Does this language violate decorum even though it doesn't use any person's name?

In my view, yes.

Thanks all.  

Briefly the comments were germane because the member was on one of the committees which normally received an allocation of general bequests but the board has the authority to change the allocation percentage in consultation with the committees.  The committee thought the consultation was continuing and was surprised to hear that the board had already made the decision. Comment was made in debate on motion: "direct board to restore full allocation to committee X."  

I agree with Mr. Martin that

On 5/4/2023 at 10:46 AM, Josh Martin said:

If it is out of order to attack the motives of an individual member, I think it is also out of order to attack the motives of a group of members.

While Mr. Elsman may be correct that, in sad reality, the vast majority of 

On 5/5/2023 at 8:59 AM, Rob Elsman said:

committees are ... neither motivated nor thinking.

I disagree that they are impersonal, as they are composed of persons.

On 5/5/2023 at 6:45 PM, Atul Kapur said:

I agree with Mr. Martin that

While Mr. Elsman may be correct that, in sad reality, the vast majority of 

I disagree that they are impersonal, as they are composed of persons.

Personally I agree with Mr Kapur, 

And I do think you need to be a bit relaxed if it all happened only once and in the heat of debate.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.