The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer Nominations

Guest Jessica

During the nomination period at a meeting, are currently sitting officers required to state they are again seeking re-election verbally?  If this is the case can someone kindly give me “title, song, verse, & note” in RRoO where this is explicitly stated for this procedure?

Agreeing with Mr. katz, RONR does not require that people being nominated be present when they are nominated (or for the actual election) nor does RONR require that they actually consent to being nominated.  Howeveer, RONR does say in section 46:13 (RONR 12th ed.) that a nominating committee should, but is not required to, contact nominees in advance to obtain their consent to being nominated.  RONR also provides that if a candidate has not consented to being nominated and is not present when elected, that person may decline to accept the position if he does so immediately upon being notified that he has been elected.  46:46 RONR (12th ed.).

On 5/10/2023 at 6:57 PM, Guest Jessica said:

During the nomination period at a meeting, are currently sitting officers required to state they are again seeking re-election verbally?  If this is the case can someone kindly give me “title, song, verse, & note” in RRoO where this is explicitly stated for this procedure?

Ask them to show you where it says that an officer whose term is expiring is automatically assumed to be a nominee for re-election (which is what I'm inferring is the alternative they're claiming is true). There is nothing in RONR that presumes that the incumbent is different than any other eligible person.

On 5/10/2023 at 6:57 PM, Guest Jessica said:

Well, if they are seeking reëlection they would be well advised to get themselves nominated somehow.  Typically they would have an ally nominate them, or failing that, nominate themselves (i.e., "volunteer") for office.  It's possible to get elected without having been nominated (by write-in votes) but if they really want the job, it's best to let that fact be known.

It is certainly true that if nobody nominates them, they're not nominated.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.