The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secret recording of a board meeting

Guest South FL Chair

Guest South FL Chair

I'm chair of an organization that runs an event.   I discovered via a public records request that a director secretly recorded a board meeting and passed that recording along to a city official in the form of a personal complaint.  They then met regarding this recording.   FL law states you must have permission to record any meeting not open to the public.  Our meetings are not open to the public, however we do allow people who work at the event to attend.  Meetings are not open to anyone from the street walking in.   What is my obligation as Chair to inform the membership of this recording?   I'm not addressing injury, only legal obligation.  Thank you.

On 5/12/2023 at 8:01 AM, Guest South FL Chair said:

I'm chair of an organization that runs an event.   I discovered via a public records request that a director secretly recorded a board meeting and passed that recording along to a city official in the form of a personal complaint.  They then met regarding this recording.   FL law states you must have permission to record any meeting not open to the public.  Our meetings are not open to the public, however we do allow people who work at the event to attend.  Meetings are not open to anyone from the street walking in.   What is my obligation as Chair to inform the membership of this recording?   I'm not addressing injury, only legal obligation.  Thank you.

Sorry, we don't do legal obligation here, only Robert's Rules.  You'll need to consult a Florida attorney. 

About all I can say is that if you expect the organization to make any decisions arising out of these facts, you're going to have to let he know about it.  As far as any legal obligation to do so, that's above our pay grade.

On 5/12/2023 at 7:01 AM, Guest South FL Chair said:

I don't think there is any parliamentary obligation to inform the membership of this matter. I also do not think any parliamentary rule would prohibit informing the membership of this matter.

Whether there is a legal obligation in this regard is beyond the scope of RONR and this forum and should be directed to an attorney.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.