The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ending a meeting - priority of recognizing a member who wants to move to adjourn

Guest CLD

On 5/17/2023 at 6:59 PM, Atul Kapur said:

If it works for your group, it's fine. So, getting back to your original post, have someone move to amend the agenda to fix a certain time to adjourn.

There might be a question whether that would take a majority vote or a  2/3 vote.

I'd say a majority vote.  If amendments are being entertained in advance of approval by the assembly, then a majority vote should be sufficient.  The idea of having the agenda accepted by some other body is pretty sketchy.   I'd interpret that to mean find it acceptable to be presented to the meeting for approval, but a subordinate body can't accept something on behalf of a superior body.  That's putting the batteries in backward.

On 5/17/2023 at 7:09 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

If amendments are being entertained in advance of approval by the assembly, then a majority vote should be sufficient.

That's the thing. It's not clear at all that the assembly is actually approving the agenda, rather than just acquiescing to the executive committee's decision -- howsoever it is making that decision.

What vote is required will, I believe, require a careful review and analysis of their Handbook and how it relates to or differs from RONR.

My understanding is that the agenda is actually adopted or set in advance of the meeting  by the executive committee per their rules. If that’s the case, then what  the assembly is doing is amending an agenda that has already been adopted. If that’s the case, it would require a two-thirds  vote.

This is all very unusual.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added the words “per their rules”

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.