The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non Profit changing national meeting date

Guest KLP

I am wondering if there is something in Robert's Rules that says something about changing a national convention/meeting date. Our bylaws says to refer back to Robert's Rules. Is there a time frame this needs to be posted ie 90 days, 60 days? Also would something like that need to be a majority board vote? 

On 5/19/2023 at 10:18 PM, Guest KLP said:

I am wondering if there is something in Robert's Rules that says something about changing a national convention/meeting date. Our bylaws says to refer back to Robert's Rules. Is there a time frame this needs to be posted ie 90 days, 60 days? Also would something like that need to be a majority board vote? 

These matters would be covered by your bylaws, not RONR.  RONR has no special method to cancel or reschedule meetings.  Some questions to keep in mind:

• How was the date set in the first place? I.e., who has the power to set it, and does that give them the power to change it?
  • Specifically does the board even have the power to do so? What do the rules regarding your convention say? If the board has this power, it would certainly require at least a majority vote, and might require two-thirds vote to change a prior decision.  But if the date was set by the general membership, or in the bylaws, the board can't contradict that.
  • Times of prior notice are to be found in your bylaws.  RONR only says a "reasonable" time, and then only if your bylaws or other rules are silent.  If rescheduling is allowed at all, it would require as many days as were needed to call the meeting in the first place, which could affect how soon you could call a rescheduled meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.