The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to adjourn before the agenda is complete

Guest LCWCC

On 5/24/2023 at 5:39 AM, Dan Honemann said:

n my opinion, there should be no doubt but that when the time for adjournment is set in an agenda it will be either a special order or a general order, but in either case it should be understood that the meeting cannot be adjourned prior to the time set for its adjournment without a suspension of the rules. This is my take on all that is said in 41:37-42, and elsewhere.

I think it depends on how the order is written.  If the order says that the assembly shall adjourn at a certain assigned hour, I agree (as the rules are currently written) with Mr. Honemann.  However, if the order says that the assembly shall adjourn no later than a certain hour, I think a motion to adjourn before the hour arrives is, indeed, an ordinary incidental main motion requiring only a majority vote for adoption.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:39 AM, Dan Honemann said:

I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that a motion to adjourn made before the time fixed for adjournment in an adopted agenda is not, for all intents and purposes, an amendment of that agenda. If such a motion is made immediately after the agenda is adopted it amounts for all practical purposes to a complete recission of that agenda.  

I think that is a bit of a stretch.  If the assembly adopts an agenda and then promptly votes to Adjourn, the general and special orders not reached in the agenda will come up under unfinished business or under special orders, respectively, at the next meeting.  That is not the case if the agenda is rescinded.

In my view, an unqualified adjournment is tantamount to setting the remainder of the agenda down gently, backing slowly away from it, and leaving.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 5/24/2023 at 2:11 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

I think that is a bit of a stretch.  If the assembly adopts an agenda and then promptly votes to Adjourn, the general and special orders not reached in the agenda will come up under unfinished business or under special orders, respectively, at the next meeting.  That is not the case if the agenda is rescinded.

In my view, an unqualified adjournment is tantamount to setting the remainder of the agenda down gently, backing slowly away from it, and leaving.

One problem with this response is that, as noted in 41:60, an agenda is usually adopted by organizations that do not hold meetings so frequently that the standard order of business is applicable.

There are probably other problems as well, but as I have said, I think further discussion in this thread will not be fruitful, and is not fair to the OP.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.