The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Government Privilege of the Floor

Guest Frank Jr.

This may be a dumb question but I'm trying to verify what I believe I already know. I attend my Town Board meetings faithfully. A  Town resident takes advantage of the privilege of the floor at almost every meeting, asking questions to Town representatives. She complains the electives never answer her questions while at the podium. One of the Town Board members told her they could not answer her under the privilege of the floor because it violates Robert's Rules of Order. I find this to be total nonsense. I chaired meetings for years and am familiar with Robert's Rules of Order; I never heard of such a rule. Now, I understand that the Town could establish "home" rules as such, but to cite the RRO as the reason an elective cannot have intercourse with a citizen, I find ridiculous. Can anyone confirm what I am stating? Thank you. *****@*****.tld

There is nothing in RONR about a "privilege of the floor." As far as RONR is concerned (which has little to do with the rules likely governing a public body), only those who are meeting have a right to be present or to speak. But the meeting body may permit others to be present and to speak, and certainly may answer those others. 

On 5/24/2023 at 4:23 PM, Guest Frank Jr. said:

This may be a dumb question but I'm trying to verify what I believe I already know. I attend my Town Board meetings faithfully. A  Town resident takes advantage of the privilege of the floor at almost every meeting, asking questions to Town representatives. She complains the electives never answer her questions while at the podium. One of the Town Board members told her they could not answer her under the privilege of the floor because it violates Robert's Rules of Order. I find this to be total nonsense. I chaired meetings for years and am familiar with Robert's Rules of Order; I never heard of such a rule. Now, I understand that the Town could establish "home" rules as such, but to cite the RRO as the reason an elective cannot have intercourse with a citizen, I find ridiculous. Can anyone confirm what I am stating? Thank you. *****@*****.tld

Yes, your assessment of total nonsense is correct.  RONR has no such prohibition, and although I know of several public bodies which have a public comment or public hearing segment, it is not called "privilege of the floor".  (My understanding of that term means that former legislators often retain the right to go onto the floor of their former house chamber, and it has nothing to do with public comment.)

As far as RONR is concerned, members of the body are certainly allowed to answer questions for members of the public.  They are not forced to, and may or may not know the answer.  But if they do, and they wish to, there is no rule in RONR stopping them.

But I also know of public bodies where the members are instructed not to provide answers to the public and simply say that someone will get back to them.  I don't know of any who were instructed to use the excuse that Robert's Rules doesn't allow it, but it would not surprise me.

On 5/24/2023 at 4:55 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Yes, your assessment of total nonsense is correct.  RONR has no such prohibition, and although I know of several public bodies which have a public comment or public hearing segment, it is not called "privilege of the floor".  (My understanding of that term means that former legislators often retain the right to go onto the floor of their former house chamber, and it has nothing to do with public comment.)

As far as RONR is concerned, members of the body are certainly allowed to answer questions for members of the public.  They are not forced to, and may or may not know the answer.  But if they do, and they wish to, there is no rule in RONR stopping them.

But I also know of public bodies where the members are instructed not to provide answers to the public and simply say that someone will get back to them.  I don't know of any who were instructed to use the excuse that Robert's Rules doesn't allow it, but it would not surprise me.

Thank you! Now I know I am not crazy. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.