The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Formation of Committees

Guest Kelly Spencer

Guest Kelly Spencer

The Board on which I serve installed new officers and, at the first Board meeting of the new term, the new presiding officer (Board Chairperson) announced that we would only have two committees - the standing committees mandated in our bylaws.

Some Directors wanted a specific committee (that we previously had) to continue. So a Director moved to reinstitute the committee, and a vote followed. The Chairperson stated that forming committees was solely under her purview. 

Was a motion to reinstitute the committee proper?

On 5/24/2023 at 11:07 PM, Guest Kelly Spencer said:

The Board on which I serve installed new officers and, at the first Board meeting of the new term, the new presiding officer (Board Chairperson) announced that we would only have two committees - the standing committees mandated in our bylaws.

Some Directors wanted a specific committee (that we previously had) to continue. So a Director moved to reinstitute the committee, and a vote followed. The Chairperson stated that forming committees was solely under her purview. 

Was a motion to reinstitute the committee proper?

I would think it would be, but I don't know what your rules say.  Where did she say this power was documented, when you asked?

If the rules in RONR apply, the members can vote to form committees for pretty much any reason they like, but I don't know if the rules in RONR apply.  What do your bylaws say about committees?

And if the chair claims that nobody else could establish committees, how did she allow the motion and put the question to a vote?  It makes no sense.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Guest Kelly Spencer

The Bylaws are silent. The only thing the Bylaws say about committees is that the there shall be 2 standing committees (the committee the Director moved to be reinstated is not one of the standing committees). 

The chair is new and she “thought” only she could establish committees. 

The bylaws state that in the absence of a rule, we follow RONR  

On 5/25/2023 at 10:11 PM, Guest Kelly Spencer said:

The Bylaws are silent. The only thing the Bylaws say about committees is that the there shall be 2 standing committees (the committee the Director moved to be reinstated is not one of the standing committees). 

The chair is new and she “thought” only she could establish committees. 

The bylaws state that in the absence of a rule, we follow RONR  

Okay, if there are two standing committees in the bylaws, then adding any more standing committees would require a bylaws amendment.

But special (or select, or ad-hoc) committees can be formed by the assembly at any time by the motion to Commit also known as Refer.  Let's say you're debating something and it's getting complicated and you'd like to give it to a committee.  You get recognized and you say:

I move to refer this question to a committee of three members with instructions to report back at the next meeting.    <second>

You can also move who should be on the committee, and who should chair it, or wait and see if the motion passes first.  And some bylaws give the president the power to appoint all committees so you wouldn't try to do that. But note that establishing a committee and appointing (members to) it are two different actions.

See RONR 12th ed. §50.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.