The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Correcting of Minutes

Guest Trina E.

Hello!

How should correction of minutes from previous meeting, that are read at the next meeting, be handled before approving minutes? In some meetings, members will state during the meeting that something was omitted or needs to be corrected, and the recording secretary will say, "Ok, I will make the corrections and send an updated copy of the minutes via email to the members after today's meeting." Is this the right way to do this? And how should the changes be written in the updated minutes? If this is not the correct way, please advise of the correct way to address and correct minutes prior to approval, and reference Robert's Rules of Orders. I'd like to share this with the incoming recording secretary for my organization. We want to do this the right way! Thank you!

On 5/27/2023 at 10:44 AM, Guest Trina E. said:

Hello!

How should correction of minutes from previous meeting, that are read at the next meeting, be handled before approving minutes? In some meetings, members will state during the meeting that something was omitted or needs to be corrected, and the recording secretary will say, "Ok, I will make the corrections and send an updated copy of the minutes via email to the members after today's meeting." Is this the right way to do this? And how should the changes be written in the updated minutes? If this is not the correct way, please advise of the correct way to address and correct minutes prior to approval, and reference Robert's Rules of Orders. I'd like to share this with the incoming recording secretary for my organization. We want to do this the right way! Thank you!

This is all spelled out in RONR, 12th ed, on pages 336-37, and it's a bit much to quote here.  If you really want to do things the right way, get yourself a copy of this edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised.

On 5/27/2023 at 11:41 AM, Dan Honemann said:

This is all spelled out in RONR, 12th ed, on pages 336-37, and it's a bit much to quote here.  If you really want to do things the right way, get yourself a copy of this edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised.

(If any of us have only electronic editions, we would have no page numbers.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.