The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Allowing a mediator to attend with a specific officer

Guest Bill

Hello, We have a contentious situation between two board members. One of these board members said she would be having a mediator attend the meetings "to create a safe space for me". She is the secretary and of course takes our minutes. Is allowing someone outside our membership to attend board meetings allowed? Thank you.

On 6/2/2023 at 1:19 PM, Guest Bill said:

Hello, We have a contentious situation between two board members. One of these board members said she would be having a mediator attend the meetings "to create a safe space for me". She is the secretary and of course takes our minutes. Is allowing someone outside our membership to attend board meetings allowed? Thank you.

It is up to the board itself to decide if this person may attend meetings.  

On 6/2/2023 at 1:19 PM, Guest Bill said:

It is, with the permission of the board by majority vote.  No one person alone may demand that someone attend with her.

Additionally, if a non-member is allowed to attend, they have no right to speak or interrupt, so it's not clear how this person would be able to "create" anything, as they are not allowed to interfere in any way.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 6/2/2023 at 3:31 PM, Guest Bill said:

Our secretary has informed the board that she will be bringing the mediator anyway ignoring the need to vote as a board. Is there any kind of action we can take against this board member?

The majority may order him removed from the room by majority vote (61:7).

Edited by J. J.

On 6/2/2023 at 4:21 PM, J. J. said:

The majority may order him removed from the room by majority vote (61:7).

Or better yet, if no vote had been taken to admit him he's not allowed in by default. The president may order, or any member may demand his removal via a Point of Order.  And yes, the Secretary may be subject to discipline as well. per your bylaws, or RONR §62.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 6/2/2023 at 4:50 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Or better yet, if no vote had been taken to admit him he's not allowed in by default. The president may order, or any member may demand his removal via a Point of Order.

I'm not certain about this. I think it depends on the assembly's rules and customs on this matter. While RONR does not permit nonmembers to attend meetings, there is also nothing in RONR which explicitly requires permission of the assembly for a nonmember to attend a meeting (unless the meeting is held in executive session). Unless the board has a rule or custom to that effect, I don't think a Point of Order would be appropriate unless the nonmember became disruptive.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.