The Official RONR Q & A Forums

A report become an amendment to bylaws

Jay M

Hello,

In our not for profit organization we have several committees and they are all structured in our bylaws. Apart form those standard committees the board some times appoint ad hoc committees. Recently some of the trustees presented a report to convert ad hoc committees into permanent committees . Report was approved. There is no specific terminology stating to amend the bylaws in the motion approved the above stated report . My question is whether the approval of the report alone will be the approval to amend the existing bylaws or do we need to use the word "amend the bylaws " in the motion. Thanks in advance

On 6/6/2023 at 12:37 PM, Jay M said:

In our not for profit organization we have several committees and they are all structured in our bylaws. Apart form those standard committees the board some times appoint ad hoc committees. Recently some of the trustees presented a report to convert ad hoc committees into permanent committees . Report was approved. There is no specific terminology stating to amend the bylaws in the motion approved the above stated report . My question is whether the approval of the report alone will be the approval to amend the existing bylaws or do we need to use the word "amend the bylaws " in the motion. Thanks in advance

In order to amend the bylaws, it will be necessary to actually make a motion to amend the bylaws. Further, it is not sufficient to merely tack on the words "amend the bylaws" to a vague proposal. Rather, the motion to amend the bylaws must include the specific manner in which the bylaws are to be amended, including any words to be added or removed. Further, this motion must follow the requirements in the bylaws for bylaw amendments.

In addition, no motion should be made to approve the report. Motions are instead made to implement the recommendations contained within the report. In this case, that is a motion to amend the bylaws, as described above.

On 6/6/2023 at 1:17 PM, Josh Martin said:

n order to amend the bylaws, it will be necessary to actually make a motion to amend the bylaws.

It sounds obvious, but I agree with what Mr. Martin is getting at.  Since the committee does not seem to have specifically recommended amending the bylaws to establish additional standing committees (corresponding to the special committees in existence), a main motion to adopt the recommendation contained in the report would be an improper main motion on account that it conflicts with the bylaws. RONR (12th ed.) 10:26, item 1.  I am relying on principle of interpretation 4, RONR (12th ed.) 56:68.  Since there are already standing committees "structured" in the bylaws, the creation of additional standing committees by an "ordinary" main motion is thereby prohibited.

On 6/6/2023 at 3:00 PM, Rob Elsman said:

It sounds obvious, but I agree with what Mr. Martin is getting at.  Since the committee does not seem to have specifically recommended amending the bylaws to establish additional standing committees (corresponding to the special committees in existence), a main motion to adopt the recommendation contained in the report would be an improper main motion on account that it conflicts with the bylaws. RONR (12th ed.) 10:26, item 1.  I am relying on principle of interpretation 4, RONR (12th ed.) 56:68.  Since there are already standing committees "structured" in the bylaws, the creation of additional standing committees by an "ordinary" main motion is thereby prohibited.

Thanks Rob Elsman for more details .

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 1:26 PM, Jay M said:

Sorry to ask again on the same subject  is there such action called " Regularization of ad- hoc committees"?

in Roberts rules or anywhere ? thanks

Nope.  Is the intent to turn an ad-hoc (special) committee into a standing committee?   If so, then we're back to amending the bylaws, to create a standing committee.  There is no "workaround".

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.