The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion for a Counted Vote

Dave Bennett

On 6/7/2023 at 10:16 AM, Dave Bennett said:

I was wondering if anyone has encountered, or knows of, a rationale where a motion for a counted vote can be moved immediately following announcement of an electronic vote?

Generally, an electronic vote is counted. Assuming this is the case, it seems to me a motion for a counted vote would be meaningless, since a counted vote has already been taken.

Some additional details may be helpful.

The vote is taken through an electronic voting system at a hybrid meeting, with some of the members in-person and some members virtual.   As the proposal isn't one requiring a secret ballet, I am looking for a way to see who voted for and who voted against the proposal.  For example, could I move for a rising vote before the Chair calls for the vote using the electronic method?

On 6/8/2023 at 9:46 AM, Dave Bennett said:

The vote is taken through an electronic voting system at a hybrid meeting, with some of the members in-person and some members virtual.   As the proposal isn't one requiring a secret ballet, I am looking for a way to see who voted for and who voted against the proposal.  For example, could I move for a rising vote before the Chair calls for the vote using the electronic method?

Well, you are asking for something akin to a roll call vote or a signed ballot vote (45:46). 

On 6/8/2023 at 9:46 AM, Dave Bennett said:

Thank you. These additional facts are helpful.

While it would be in order to move for a rising vote (although one which would need to be modified slightly to accommodate the members attending virtually), I concur with J.J. that if the desire is "to see who voted for and who voted against the proposal," a roll call vote would accomplish that objective even more clearly.

I would note, however, that the purpose of a roll call vote is really to ensure members' votes are "on record" for their constituents, not their colleagues. It's not clear to me whether this assembly is one with an interested constituency.

In any event, a motion for a rising vote or a roll call vote will require a majority vote for adoption, unless the organization's rules require otherwise. In the circumstances described, such a motion must be made before the vote has been taken.

On 6/9/2023 at 4:52 PM, Dave Bennett said:

Thanks Josh.  Yes, there is an interested constituency. The voting delegates represent 78 branches, each with between 200 members -34,000 members in a branch.

Thank you. Then yes, a motion for a roll call vote is in order, and would be the best tool for what you wish to accomplish.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.