The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's powers

Guest Tasha

On 6/16/2023 at 9:32 PM, Guest Tasha said:

Thank you Joshua.  For clarity's sake, the president spoke to the the chair of a committee and another member of the same committee and asked them to stand down...relinquish their position on the committee which they did not wish to do.

Well, in some societies the president has the power to appoint people to committees.  So it might depend on how this committee chair was appointed or elected in the first place. If it wasn't by the president then he can suggest that the president take his helpful suggestions somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 9:11 PM, Joshua Katz said:

Anyone can ask anything, but the president has no power to remove the board member. Whether the president can remove someone as committee chair depends on your rules.

Our bylaws are silent as to the removal of board members but they do say that, in the absence of anything specific, Robert's Rules governs. So, my question is: can the president (on their own) remove a duly elected board member with no vote of the rest of the board or the general membership that elected that board member? If the president isn't allowed to do that but does it anyway, what would be the recommended next step? 

On 6/26/2023 at 5:04 PM, Guest Karen said:

So, my question is: can the president (on their own) remove a duly elected board member with no vote of the rest of the board or the general membership that elected that board member?

No, certainly not.

If the bylaws are silent on removal, the exact procedures to remove a board member will vary depending on the precise wording of your bylaws used to define the term of office (see FAQ #20), but in any event, the procedures ultimately require a vote by the body which elects the board members in the first place.

On 6/26/2023 at 5:04 PM, Guest Karen said:

If the president isn't allowed to do that but does it anyway, what would be the recommended next step? 

The President didn't remove anyone. The President might have said that this person was removed, but that doesn't make it so.

So, for starters, the board member should show up to the next board meeting, and if the President attempts to prevent the board member from participating, be prepared to raise a Point of Order, followed by an Appeal if necessary.

Beyond that, I suppose it's up to the society how it wishes to proceed next, but I'd recommend removing the President from office. See FAQ #20.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.