The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President asking for approval to spend money from Administrative Officers via phone.

Guest bamarayne@yahoo.com

Guest bamarayne@yahoo.com

Please help me.  Our President, per the By Laws, has a $500 discretionary fund account.  At the April meeting he suggested a new amendment be added to allow a contact/call to other "Board" members (Admin officers) for a majority approval enabling his ability to spend over the threshold amount.  I opposed the motion based on the fact that motions should be presented to the membership for discussion and motions cannot be made in between meetings.  This passed and is now an amendment, am I right and if so, how do I undo this?

HELP!  

Thank you,

Harleen Reynolds

On 6/19/2023 at 5:00 PM, Guest *****@*****.tld said:

Please help me.  Our President, per the By Laws, has a $500 discretionary fund account.  At the April meeting he suggested a new amendment be added to allow a contact/call to other "Board" members (Admin officers) for a majority approval enabling his ability to spend over the threshold amount.  I opposed the motion based on the fact that motions should be presented to the membership for discussion and motions cannot be made in between meetings.  This passed and is now an amendment, am I right and if so, how do I undo this?

HELP!  

Thank you,

Harleen Reynolds

Bit puzzling with all this. 

Is there a board (of officers or  directors) in the first place? (If it is not in the bylaws it doesn't exist) 

But the bylaws rule.

The president could spend more (of his own money) and then ask the meeting to ratify his spending afterward (but no guarantee that the meeting will do so)

I find this very confusing. I note that "Board" appears in quotes. Is there a board?

In any case, what body was meeting in April? Did that body have the authority to amend the bylaws? Was the procedure for doing so followed?

As to whether or not you're right, well, if the bylaws were amended, then they're "right" in terms of what the organization must do. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.