The Official RONR Q & A Forums

meeting closed with contention for officer position

Guest TJ Molendyk

they were nominated however I had asked a member to make an amendment to the previous minutes which was ignored.  I was absent from the meeting and was meaning to address the amendment.  So one nominee turned into two nominees because of the ignored amendment.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:25 PM, Guest rulesasker said:

they were nominated however I had asked a member to make an amendment to the previous minutes which was ignored.  I was absent from the meeting and was meaning to address the amendment.  So one nominee turned into two nominees because of the ignored amendment.

Amending the minutes is not the way to accomplish things that should have been be done by a motion and vote, but weren't.  The minutes should reflect what was actually done at the meeting--nothing more, nothing less.  

To answer the original question, if there are two candidates for one office, you hold what's known as an Election.

With my colleagues, I do not fully understand the nature of the problem; however, if the post's parliamentary authority is RONR (12th ed.), the rules concerning nominations and elections would be binding to the extent they do not conflict with operative laws, regulations, or the organization's governing documents.

• Does the post have a standing committee on rules charged with continuing education of members on best practicing in conformity with operative rules?
  • Did the members receive training on nominations and elections well in advance of electioneering season?
  • Did the members rehearse proper nomination and election procedures?
  • Did the post's officers receive special training on their particular roles in the context of nominations and elections?
  • Does the presiding officer have a copy of RONR (12th ed.) at hand during each meeting?

On 6/23/2023 at 6:34 PM, Guest TJ Molendyk said:

Our last American Legion Post meeting was closed with two names in contention for an officer position, what can we legally do to properly fill the spot?

By members voting for the candidate of their choice. Majority rules.

I don't understand what the problem is here.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:25 PM, Guest rulesasker said:

they were nominated however I had asked a member to make an amendment to the previous minutes which was ignored.

I don't understand what the minutes of a previous meeting have to do with this.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:25 PM, Guest rulesasker said:

So one nominee turned into two nominees because of the ignored amendment.

I'm confused. Is there a dispute as to whether one of these persons was, in fact, nominated?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.