The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Robert's Rules for Dummies vs. RONR Newly Revised 12th Edition

Virgil

All,

I need help with this one; I have 2 years left on a 3 year term as an HOA Board Director. Again, I find myself in the minority because we have a fractured board of 5-4. The newly elected President insists on using Robert's Rules for Dummies. Last year, the board approved using RONR NR 12th. The Executive Secretary even had a copy of it and referred to it frequently. I vehemently disagree using Robert's Rules for Dummies instead of RONR. It seems like we are going backwards without using the "Official" resource/book.

Question: How do I convince the Board to accept using the official book? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Sincerely,

Virgil

On 7/19/2023 at 10:54 PM, Virgil said:

All,

I need help with this one; I have 2 years left on a 3 year term as an HOA Board Director. Again, I find myself in the minority because we have a fractured board of 5-4. The newly elected President insists on using Robert's Rules for Dummies. Last year, the board approved using RONR NR 12th. The Executive Secretary even had a copy of it and referred to it frequently. I vehemently disagree using Robert's Rules for Dummies instead of RONR. It seems like we are going backwards without using the "Official" resource/book.

Question: How do I convince the Board to accept using the official book? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Sincerely,

Virgil

Tell the board members to read the introduction to Robert's Rules for Dummies:

"When you need to make a point in a meeting, be prepared to cite the real Robert’s Rules. That is, Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised (12th edition) Whatever you do, please don’t go waving my book around to your presiding officer unless your bylaws say that your parliamentary authority is Jennings’s Robert’s Rules For Dummies (which they should not!). Of course, I’m delighted that you’ve bought this book, but it’s not a parliamentary authority. It’s a book about one."

On 7/20/2023 at 4:19 AM, Shmuel Gerber said:

"When you need to make a point in a meeting, be prepared to cite the real Robert’s Rules. That is, Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised (12th edition) Whatever you do, please don’t go waving my book around to your presiding officer unless your bylaws say that your parliamentary authority is Jennings’s Robert’s Rules For Dummies (which they should not!). Of course, I’m delighted that you’ve bought this book, but it’s not a parliamentary authority. It’s a book about one."

Was just going to look for that

On 7/19/2023 at 11:19 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

And if there is no mic available to drop, bring one of your own.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 10:29 AM, Virgil said:

All,

I apologize for a less than timely acknowledgement of your thoughtful replies. Yes, our HOA adopted RONA Newly Revised back in 2002. Also, I think being able to cite the paragraph out of "...for Dummies" is brilliant. You pulled through once again with great advice. Best to you all!

Virgil

Thanks.  I wish we could have witnessed the mic drop.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:29 AM, Virgil said:

All,

I apologize for a less than timely acknowledgement of your thoughtful replies. Yes, our HOA adopted RONA Newly Revised back in 2002. Also, I think being able to cite the paragraph out of "...for Dummies" is brilliant. You pulled through once again with great advice. Best to you all!

Virgil

Please note that Mr. Gerber is mentioned in the acknowledgements of the current edition of Robert's Rules for Dummies.  :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.