The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Candidate what can they say

Guest Zinger F

Can a candidate for election say something about an opponents judgment to hold office? We had an election and one candidate had a theft conviction and another candidate said the theft conviction was a sign of bad judgment. The president claimed that was a criticism and not allowed under Robert’s. 

The ordinary rules of decorum in debate apply to speeches made during the nominating process.  While speakers must refrain from dealing in personalities, anything that has a direct bearing on the advisability of electing the thief is permissible, as long as what is said is factual and apparently truthful.  Nothing slanderous can be tolerated, and what is said must be narrowly limited to what is truly necessary for the electing body to determine the suitability of the contestant for office.

On 7/26/2023 at 2:04 AM, Guest Zinger F said:

Can a candidate for election say something about an opponents judgment to hold office? We had an election and one candidate had a theft conviction and another candidate said the theft conviction was a sign of bad judgment. The president claimed that was a criticism and not allowed under Robert’s. 

Since we are told the member specifically pointed out a theft conviction, as opposed to simply making unsupported allegations of theft, and a member then appeared to make a comment which was connected to those facts and, in my view, is germane to the question of electing the officer, I think these comments were in order.

RONR does not have a rule categorically providing that "criticism" of candidates is not in order. The ordinary rules of decorum are in force in an election. Somewhat greater latitude is permitted when discussing candidates then ordinarily permitted when discussing members, since the candidates are themselves the subject of debate. There are greater concerns when allegations are made against a member's character, but given the particular facts described here, I think these comments were within the bounds of decorum.

This is something of a grey area, however, and is ultimately a judgment call that the chair will have to make in a particular case, and that is subject to appeal to the assembly.

On 7/26/2023 at 3:04 AM, Guest Zinger F said:

It's a sensitive area, but if this is a truthful and accurate statement about a conviction, without editorializing, I think it's allowable.  Still, I think it would be best to say "In my opinion, a theft conviction calls the judgement of a person into question," rather than saying "Therefore Mr. C is a lying crook." 

On 7/26/2023 at 5:44 PM, Atul Kapur said:

Easiest is for the candidate to speak only about oneself, "I have never been convicted of theft, which is proof of my good judgement." [or proof of how good I am at it]

Resisting the temptation to add, "...unlike some people I could name." 

Edited by Gary Novosielski

The speaker may have factual information about his opponent that is relevant and important, but not generally available to the other members.  If the failure to disclose the information might reasonably put the society in the path of significant harm, the speaker may actually have the duty, associated with membership in the society, to make the information known to the assembly.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.