The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Draft Minutes

Wright Stuff

Can the Executive Committee require the Secretary to distribute her draft minutes within two weeks following the quarterly meeting? Since 41:12 states that the Secretary's draft does not become the (official) minutes unless it is approved by the members, can the Executive Committee require the Secretary to distribute her notes, which is all they are? There is no provision in the bylaws requiring distribution of the (draft) minutes prior to the next meeting. 

On 7/26/2023 at 1:14 PM, Wright Stuff said:

Can the Executive Committee require the Secretary to distribute her draft minutes within two weeks following the quarterly meeting? Since 41:12 states that the Secretary's draft does not become the (official) minutes unless it is approved by the members, can the Executive Committee require the Secretary to distribute her notes, which is all they are? There is no provision in the bylaws requiring distribution of the (draft) minutes prior to the next meeting. 

The assembly clearly could instruct an officer to perform a duty within a specific time frame.  I am not clear if the minutes are those of the Executive Committee.

On 7/26/2023 at 12:14 PM, Wright Stuff said:

Can the Executive Committee require the Secretary to distribute her draft minutes within two weeks following the quarterly meeting?

Assuming the minutes in question are minutes of Executive Committee meetings, yes.

On 7/26/2023 at 12:14 PM, Wright Stuff said:

Since 41:12 states that the Secretary's draft does not become the (official) minutes unless it is approved by the members, can the Executive Committee require the Secretary to distribute her notes, which is all they are?

Yes.

On 7/26/2023 at 1:14 PM, Wright Stuff said:

Probably not.  

It would depend on how the Secretary's duties are defined in the bylaws.  By default, RONR only requires that the draft minutes be read at the next meeting.  Do the bylaws say anything about the secretary having the duty to carry out instructions of the EC?    Usually an officer must accept instructions issued by the general assembly but not necessarily by the board or EC.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 7/26/2023 at 3:06 PM, Wright Stuff said:

They are not the minutes of the Executive Committee until they are approved by the Executive Committee.

Yes, I understand completely. I apologize for not saying "draft minutes."

The point I was trying to make is that the Executive Committee has the authority to order minutes (or drafts thereof) of its own meetings to be distributed, but would not have such authority with regard to meetings of a different assembly.

It is not unusual for an assembly to order draft minutes to be distributed in advance of their approval. Many organizations do this. It would be best to clearly mark them as a draft, of course.

It seems you may be hinting at an idea that the draft minutes are the personal property of the Secretary until they are approved. I strongly disagree with this idea.

On 7/26/2023 at 3:19 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Probably not.  

It would depend on how the Secretary's duties are defined in the bylaws.  By default, RONR only requires that the draft minutes be read at the next meeting.  Do the bylaws say anything about the secretary having the duty to carry out instructions of the EC?    Usually an officer must accept instructions issued by the general assembly but not necessarily by the board or EC.

I disagree. As I understand the facts, the Secretary in question serves not only as the Secretary of the general membership, but also serves as the Secretary of the Executive Committee. It would seem to me that the Executive Committee at least has the authority to order drafts of minutes of its own meetings to be distributed two weeks after the meetings, even without explicit authorization in the bylaws for the Executive Committee to issue orders to officers. This relates to the Secretary's duties as secretary for the Executive Committee, and not to the officer's broader duties as Secretary of the full organization.

Certainly, the full board or the membership could adopt their own rules on this matter, which would supersede any conflicting instructions from the Executive Committee. But in the absence of such rules, the Executive Committee is in charge of its own minutes, and drafts thereof.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 7/26/2023 at 4:49 PM, Josh Martin said:

I disagree. As I understand the facts, the Secretary in question serves not only as the Secretary of the general membership, but also serves as the Secretary of the Executive Committee. It would seem to me that the Executive Committee at least has the authority to order drafts of minutes of its own meetings to be distributed two weeks after the meetings, even without explicit authorization in the bylaws for the Executive Committee to issue orders to officers. This relates to the Secretary's duties as secretary for the Executive Committee, and not to the officer's broader duties as Secretary of the full organization.

Certainly, the full board or the membership could adopt their own rules on this matter, which would supersede any conflicting instructions from the Executive Committee. But in the absence of such rules, the Executive Committee is in charge of its own minutes, and drafts thereof.

Okay, I'll grant that, but I still think it would be worth a look at the secretary's duties as described in the bylaws.  Suppose the EC wanted to issue instructions that the draft must be completed by the next morning?

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 7/26/2023 at 3:03 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Okay, I'll grant that, but I still think it would be worth a look at the secretary's duties as described in the bylaws.  Suppose the EC wanted to issue instructions that the draft must be completed by the next morning?

Put aside EC for a moment, in a multi-day convention absent, that is in fact the rule absent a special rule of order to the contrary.

On 7/26/2023 at 5:57 PM, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

Put aside EC for a moment, in a multi-day convention absent, that is in fact the rule absent a special rule of order to the contrary.

Fair point, but an event with a stated program is somewhat easier to record, comparatively speaking. Just scribble in the result on the program. Still, that's not a bad reason to wriggle out of being the secretary of a convention.  That, and the toll that repeated long roll-call balloting can take on the voice.

On 7/26/2023 at 4:49 PM, Josh Martin said:

I agree with your disagreement.  This was the reason for my original question. 

On 7/26/2023 at 4:10 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Fair point, but an event with a stated program is somewhat easier to record, comparatively speaking. Just scribble in the result on the program. Still, that's not a bad reason to wriggle out of being the secretary of a convention.  That, and the toll that repeated long roll-call balloting can take on the voice.

LOL convention minutes are ... not easy.  But again it could just be the nature of experience with the organization I am involved with.  So glad we have a bylaw that supersedes that because this Secretary is not producing minutes overnight.

On 7/26/2023 at 4:03 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

I do not see any parliamentary rule which would prevent this.

As to concerns about whether duties imposed on the Secretary are a practical and reasonable expectation, that will be a negotiation between the EC and the Secretary, and the EC will need to balance its wishes to have draft minutes available quickly with what it can reasonably expect of a volunteer.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.