The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Going over budget on an event

Guest Holly

We had an event that was budgeted for $250.00. When the chairperson for that event came to the next meeting she wanted to be reimbursed for $930.00 which is $680.00 over budget. I feel she should not be reimbursed, if she needed more money the chairperson should of asked before spending the money that is not theirs. What are your thoughts on this.

On 8/7/2023 at 3:13 PM, Guest Holly said:

We had an event that was budgeted for $250.00. When the chairperson for that event came to the next meeting she wanted to be reimbursed for $930.00 which is $680.00 over budget. I feel she should not be reimbursed, if she needed more money the chairperson should of asked before spending the money that is not theirs. What are your thoughts on this.

The chair (or someone on his behalf  if there are more than a dozen members of the meeting.) Can make a man motion to ratify the extra spending.

If the motion is adopted (by majority) the money can be reimbursed, if yhe motion is not adopted only 250 can be reimbursed.

If you are member of yhr meeting you can vote afainst the motion.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:13 AM, Guest Holly said:

Whether to reimburse the chairperson, and for what amount, is not a parliamentary question. It is a substantive question for the assembly to decide. As a result, my thoughts on this matter are irrelevant. The assembly shall decide this matter.

If you feel the chairperson should not be reimbursed, or should only be reimbursed for $250, you are free to speak in debate against the motion for reimbursement and/or to seek to amend the motion by striking "$930" and inserting "$250." The main motion, as well as any amendments, are debatable and require a majority vote for adoption.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:34 AM, puzzling said:

If the motion is adopted (by majority) the money can be reimbursed, if yhe motion is not adopted only 250 can be reimbursed.

I think we need more information concerning the organization's rules to say what occurs if the motion is not adopted. It may be that the organization's rules provide that the Treasurer is authorized to make reimbursements up to a certain amount or up to the budgeted amount without further authorization from the assembly, but nothing in RONR provides this is the case. If RONR is all that is controlling, no reimbursement at all shall be made unless a motion authorizing such a reimbursement is adopted.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:34 AM, puzzling said:

The chair (or someone on his behalf  if there are more than a dozen members of the meeting.) Can make a man motion to ratify the extra spending.

I'm not certain the size of the assembly is relevant here, as my understanding is that the person requesting the reimbursement is the chairperson for the event, who may not be the same person as the chair of the assembly.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 8/7/2023 at 10:13 AM, Guest Holly said:

We had an event that was budgeted for $250.00. When the chairperson for that event came to the next meeting she wanted to be reimbursed for $930.00 which is $680.00 over budget. I feel she should not be reimbursed, if she needed more money the chairperson should [have] asked before spending the money that is not theirs. What are your thoughts on this.

If you feel she should not be reimbursed, then you should debate against it when it comes up for debate (presumably by a motion to Ratify).  Or has it already?  What happened at that meeting where she requested to be reimbursed?  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.