The Official RONR Q & A Forums

resigning and rescinding that resignation

Guest jwshuff3@yahoo.com

Guest jwshuff3@yahoo.com

As chair of a non profit 501c3 I resigned over an issue. After thinking further about my decision I rescinded my resignation prior to the next scheduled meeting and prior to any acceptance of my resignation. We begin the year with a new slate of officers for 2024. According to our by-laws the new Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer were elected. Our Bylaws states that the Immediate past Chair is a member of the Executive committee, according to Roberts Rules,( which we refer to as our guiding rules for order) should I be considered the Immediate past chair?

thank you for your time!

John Shuff, jwshuff3@yahoo.com

Thank you for your time! I chose to not go to the November meeting where my two letters were discussed and accepted, we do not meet in December. During the November meeting election of the October slate of officers was voted in for January 2024 per the bylaws. They decided at that Nov. meeting to go with my immediate past chair - truth be told, we were having a significant disagreement regarding policy and they wanted me out of the way. Our bylaws don't even call for the Immediate past chair to be elected it is assumed you will move right into that office after your time as Chair. I wanted to make sure there was or was not a Roberts Rule regarding this eventuality(resign and rescind affecting my Immediate past chair position), as I want my seat on the Exec board.

Again thank you for your consideration!

On 12/13/2023 at 1:45 PM, Guest more detail said:

Our bylaws don't even call for the Immediate past chair to be elected it is assumed you will move right into that office after your time as Chair.

Any immediate past chair provision I've seen (most of us here, including myself, recommend against having them) has simply followed the English meaning of the words - in other words, the bylaws IPP is the IPP. Elected an IPP sounds very strange and I do not know how I'd write a bylaw provision to do that.

On 12/13/2023 at 1:45 PM, Guest more detail said:

I wanted to make sure there was or was not a Roberts Rule regarding this eventuality(resign and rescind affecting my Immediate past chair position), as I want my seat on the Exec board.

There is not, as RONR does not discuss this position. It's a matter of bylaws interpretation.

On 12/13/2023 at 12:45 PM, Guest more detail said:

Thank you for your time! I chose to not go to the November meeting where my two letters were discussed and accepted, we do not meet in December. During the November meeting election of the October slate of officers was voted in for January 2024 per the bylaws. They decided at that Nov. meeting to go with my immediate past chair - truth be told, we were having a significant disagreement regarding policy and they wanted me out of the way. Our bylaws don't even call for the Immediate past chair to be elected it is assumed you will move right into that office after your time as Chair. I wanted to make sure there was or was not a Roberts Rule regarding this eventuality(resign and rescind affecting my Immediate past chair position), as I want my seat on the Exec board.

Robert's Rules of Order does not address the position of "Immediate Past President" at all.

The simple dictionary definition of the words, however, would suggest the Immediate Past President is, by definition, the person who was President immediately prior to the current President. Period. Unless, of course, something in the organization's bylaws provide otherwise.

I would personally advise that the organization amend the bylaws to remove the position of Immediate Past President altogether, because my experience that having such a position causes nothing but problems. Unless and until the organization does so, however, it looks like they're stuck with you.

Edited by Josh Martin

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.