The Official RONR Q & A Forums

E-Board chair ability to vote.

Guest tojoboland1@yahoo.com

Guest tojoboland1@yahoo.com

Can the Chair of an E-Board as chair rule that a vote be by ballot vote? This giving the chair an opportunity to vote for their self? The organization has no prior rule on this but from what I understand by RoR the chair only votes in a ballot election. On the other hand as I understand there is no requirement for me to recuse myself and have a vote only to break a tie in a Yay or Nay vote. At any of our meeting all that is required for a ballot vote on anything before the assembly is one member requesting a ballot vote. Every other vote for elections of officers both locally and nationally are done by ballot vote. Too much back ground here but simply the question is, can the chair call for a ballot vote giving them an opportunity to vote for their self? 

On 5/13/2024 at 12:12 PM, Guest tojoboland1@yahoo.com said:

Can the Chair of an E-Board as chair rule that a vote be by ballot vote?

No (at least, not so far as RONR is concerned). A ballot vote is taken only if required by the organization's bylaws or ordered by the assembly, by majority vote.

This giving the chair an opportunity to vote for their self?

The chair always has the opportunity to vote for themselves.

The organization has no prior rule on this but from what I understand by RoR the chair only votes in a ballot election. On the other hand as I understand there is no requirement for me to recuse myself and have a vote only to break a tie in a Yay or Nay vote.

As is commonly the case, you and your organization appear to have picked up bits and pieces of what RONR says on this, but lack the full picture.

First, it must be understood that the chair, if a member, always has the right to vote.

In order to maintain impartiality, however, the chair of a larger assembly refrains from voting, except in the following circumstances.

• The chair's vote would affect the result (which may include, but is not necessarily limited to, breaking a tie).
  • The vote is taken by ballot. (The reason for this exception is so that the chair does not need to lose the right to a secret ballot.)

In a small board (usually defined as not more than about a dozen members) or a committee, however, the chair is free to vote in all cases.

See also FAQ #1.

At any of our meeting all that is required for a ballot vote on anything before the assembly is one member requesting a ballot vote.

Well, then I suppose the chair is free to request a ballot vote the same as any other member.

Every other vote for elections of officers both locally and nationally are done by ballot vote.

Quite frequently, the bylaws require a ballot vote for elections. Have you checked whether that is the case here?

Too much back ground here but simply the question is, can the chair call for a ballot vote giving them an opportunity to vote for their self? 

As I understand the facts, your bylaws provide that "all that is required for a ballot vote on anything before the assembly is one member requesting a ballot vote." If that is the case, then the chair is free to request a ballot vote, the same as any other member.

To be clear, however, the chair has the opportunity to vote for their self even if the vote is not taken by ballot, as explained in more detail above.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.