The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion mover speaking order

Guest Steven Wallace

Guest Steven Wallace

I am a member of an HOA. I indicated to the Board chair at the upcoming annual meeting I intend to present a member motion ( which I am allowed to do). Our Board chair told me Roberts Rules ONLY allow me to read the motion and I may NOT comment on the motion after the second until all other attendees have spoken (such attendee that the chair chooses to recognize). I believe the mover should speak first is basic. Any help?

You are correct. The member who made the motion has the right to be recognized and to speak first in debate on his motion.  RONR (12 th Ed.) sections 4:6 and 4:27. 

Section 4:6 provide as follows:  

“4:6 As soon as a member has made a motion, he resumes his seat. He will have the right to speak first in debate, if he wishes, after the chair has stated the question. If the motion has not been heard or is not clear, another member can ask that it be repeated, which the chair can request the maker or the secretary to do, or can do himself.”

And 4:27 says:  “4:27 Debate on the Question.   Immediately after stating the question, the chair turns toward the maker of the motion to see if he wishes to be assigned the floor first in debate—to which the maker has the right if he claims it before anyone else has been recognized, even though others may have risen and addressed the chair first.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added citations to RONR

On 6/16/2024 at 10:38 AM, Guest Steven Wallace said:

I am a member of an HOA. I indicated to the Board chair at the upcoming annual meeting I intend to present a member motion ( which I am allowed to do). Our Board chair told me Roberts Rules ONLY allow me to read the motion and I may NOT comment on the motion after the second until all other attendees have spoken (such attendee that the chair chooses to recognize). I believe the mover should speak first is basic. Any help?

The good news is that you now have an idea of how much the Chair knows about Robert's Rules.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.