The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda

Guest Amber

Prior to our BoD meetings, we send out an electronic copy of the agenda and consent agenda (in google docs). Once the president has sent this agenda to the board, is it appropriate to make any additional changes before the meeting takes place? I’ve been told that once the agenda is sent out, it is inappropriate for anyone to make adjustments prior to the meeting. Is this true?

On 7/9/2024 at 1:52 PM, Guest Amber said:

Prior to our BoD meetings, we send out an electronic copy of the agenda and consent agenda (in google docs). Once the president has sent this agenda to the board, is it appropriate to make any additional changes before the meeting takes place? I’ve been told that once the agenda is sent out, it is inappropriate for anyone to make adjustments prior to the meeting. Is this true?

The answers to your questions will have to be found in your own customized rules relating to the procedure described in this sentence I have bolded.  None of this is based upon rules in RONR.

On 7/9/2024 at 1:26 PM, Guest Amber said:

Ok, so just for clarification - there is no guidance in RONR concerning whether agendas can be modified prior to the meeting after it has been distributed to the group?

When the agenda is up for approval at the meeting, members may propose changes to it.  Those proposed changes can be adopted by a majority vote (or unanimous consent) before the agenda is actually adopted.  It usually requires a majority vote to adopt the agenda.  Once the agenda is adopted by the assembly, changes to it require a two-thirds vote or the vote of a majority of the entire membership (or unanimous consent).  Note:  Those are the rules (in brief) that are in RONR (12th ed.) 41:61-63.  Any customized rules that your organization has regarding the use and adoption of an agenda supersede the rules in RONR.  It might be that your rules give the president the sole authority to set the agenda.

On 7/9/2024 at 2:26 PM, Guest Amber said:

Ok, so just for clarification - there is no guidance in RONR concerning whether agendas can be modified prior to the meeting after it has been distributed to the group?

The guidance in RONR is that most ordinary societies should not be using agendas at all. But if your organization has special rules that require their use and set forth the manner in which they are used, that's how it's done.  In the usual case, agendas are up for approval at the start of each meeting, and until the assembly votes to adopt it, the agenda is not binding.  In other cases the President sets the agenda, and it is uncommon (or less) for changes to be made.

The answers should be found in your Bylaws and your Special Rules of Order if any.

Guedt Amber, I agree with Mr. Honemann and Mr. Novosielski. You appear to have customized rules regarding the preparation and use of an agenda. I told you what the provisions are in RONR regarding the adoption of an agenda. However, if you will quote for us EXACTLY what your rules say regarding the preparation and use of the agenda we might be able to help you further. However, we need the EXACT language as stated in your rules — please do not paraphrase.  II there are no written rules on the subject, but this is instead a custom, then please tell us that as well.  It will make a difference.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.