The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Meeting Rules

Guest EBSimpson

(Background: local Realtor association, 2 boards, different exec for each, same directors for both, one for profit, one non profit)

We have called (for the first time in 10 years) a special meeting to address two specific items. The agenda created includes: Call to order, certification of quorum, new business with the two items, adjourn. Our regular board meeting will be 10 days later.

I am being told that I am required to have a call to the audience (as we do in our regular meetings) when sources I looked at said I didn't need to include it/it could be hard to keep the topics to the two issues we're voting on.

This is a first for me - we are dealing with some sensitive/high emotion issues. Which is the correct way to go: call to the audience or no? (References to where I can find this in a RR handbook would be appreciated).

Thanks

On 7/9/2024 at 4:58 PM, Richard Brown said:

What do you mean by

What do you mean by a “call to the audience“?

Call to the audience is where we make time for membership to address the board with any questions, concerns, issues and so forth. 

On 7/9/2024 at 6:06 PM, Guest EBSimpson said:

This is a first for me - we are dealing with some sensitive/high emotion issues. Which is the correct way to go: call to the audience or no? (References to where I can find this in a RR handbook would be appreciated).

Thanks

"Call to the Audience" is nowhere to be found in RONR, so it is hard to say where you can find it, as in fact you will not find it anywhere.

But in accordance with the rule that @Atul Kapur cited, since presumably "Call to the Audience" was not specified in the call of the special meeting, then it will not be in order during the meeting.

On 7/10/2024 at 5:09 PM, Rob Elsman said:

Special meetings do not have an order of business or agenda.

Well, they can, but they usually don’t. I have seen special meetings consisting of a dozen or so items to be taken up and an agenda has been used to put them in a particular order.

On 7/10/2024 at 6:30 PM, Richard Brown said:

Well, they can, but they usually don’t. I have seen special meetings consisting of a dozen or so items to be taken up and an agenda has been used to put them in a particular order.

On 7/10/2024 at 6:33 PM, Rob Elsman said:

Special meetings do not have orders of the day, either.

They do in the situation described by Mr. Brown.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.