The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation, Acceptance of Resignation & Alliances Nominating the Resigned.

Guest Amasai

My friends organization is a church. And under it, are different ministries with committees/boards. 

One of the ministries is a school, the chairman resigned for being a member and chair, stating he cant work with one of the other members.

After several weeks, this was taken to the church board (which oversees the school) and his resignation was accepted.

The church fills/nominates the schools board with members.  Two other members were not moving forward and their terms expiring.  The church was looking to nominate two new members, but with the resignation of the member/chair, my friend now needs three candidates.

As an email was sent out to the church members for prospective candidates, several people whom are in alliance with the former chair have nominated him back to the school board he once chaired and was a member of.

My friend is wondering, does he have to consider his name?  He resigned, and his resignation was accepted.

Though the members may have the right to nominate him, he vacated the position, his resignation was accepted.

What are options for my friend according to RROO?

I

A resignation does not disqualify him from being re-elected or re-appointed to the board.

So the nomination is valid. But whoever is making the decision can certainly take into account, while considering who to place on the board, the fact that he resigned.

Your friend's options include finding three better candidates. Also, your friend should confirm that this person consents to being nominated. 

Thank you Atul.

My question is, I know they can nomniate but can from a board perspective, can he acccept a position he vacated because he cannot work with a person, to taking the same job with the same person still on the board? 

Also, can when nominations are made, what power does the chair have in who is asked and who isn't asked from the pool of nominee's? 

On 7/10/2024 at 5:04 AM, Guest Amasai said:

My question is, I know they can nomniate but can from a board perspective, can he acccept a position he vacated because he cannot work with a person, to taking the same job with the same person still on the board? 

Yes.

On 7/10/2024 at 5:04 AM, Guest Amasai said:

Also, can when nominations are made, what power does the chair have in who is asked and who isn't asked from the pool of nominee's? 

None. If I understand the question correctly, you're asking, if a person is properly nominated, can the chair nonetheless prevent him from being elected. The answer is no. 

I am really not able to understand everything the original poster is telling us or asking. I think I do understand one question, that being whether a member who resigned from a committee can be reappointed to that committee. If that is one of the questions, then I agree with Mr. Katz that a member can be reappointed to a committee that he had resigned from earlier.

I don’t understand enough of what the original poster is saying and asking to comment on anything else at this point. 

Thank you everyone.

My next question is, if he can be nominated "back" to the board (without working out the details why he resigned), the electing board can call for a vote to reappoint or to not appoint correct?   Just because he has been nominated, doesn't mean he is automatically reassigned correct?

I hope I didn't convolute everyone.

A resignation, once accepted, creates a vacancy that is filled by the body that initially elects/chooses/appoints a person to that office. Your organization may have other rules about filling a vacancy (eg: the executive board members are elected by the general membership but vacancies can be filled by the remaining members of the board).

However, it appears that you are also holding your regular elections at about the same time. It sounds like two positions are up for election in the normal course of things. So, given the vacancy, the electing/selecting body would choose three people: two to fill the new terms and one to fill the remainder of the term of the person who resigned.

On 7/10/2024 at 1:49 PM, Guest Amasai said:

the electing board can call for a vote to reappoint or to not appoint correct?

I wouldn't recommend a motion "To reappoint the person who resigned."

I would conduct your normal election process for all open positions, including the vacancy.

Not so fast.   We have been told that the former chairman resigned from being chairman but also from membership, and that the resignation was accepted.

If election to the board is only open to members, and if he is no longer a member, then he is not eligible unless he first goes through whatever steps are required for someone to re-apply for membership and become a member.  A resignation from membership cannot simply be rescinded (or ignored).

If those two "ifs" are satisfied, then yes, he can be elected, unless there is some other customized rule of yours that would prevent it.  Robert's Rules does not.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 7/9/2024 at 10:06 PM, Guest Amasai said:

One of the ministries is a school, the chairman resigned for being a member and chair, stating he cant work with one of the other members.

If that is what you are referring to, @Gary Novosielski, it is not clear whether the member resigned from the committee or from membership in the organization. I interpreted the statement to mean that he resigned from the committee.

I think we need more information on that point. 

On 7/10/2024 at 10:49 AM, Guest Amasai said:

My next question is, if he can be nominated "back" to the board (without working out the details why he resigned), the electing board can call for a vote to reappoint or to not appoint correct?   Just because he has been nominated, doesn't mean he is automatically reassigned correct?

You are correct. Just being nominated doesn't mean he is elected, and the fact that he was once in the role doesn't enter into it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.