The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Approve 2 Separate Agenda Items with 1 vote.

JRod

This is regarding making a motion to approve TWO agenda items with one motion by my local City Commission.

The two agenda items were removed from the Consent Agenda into the Regular Agenda.

They were both discussed/debated at the  same time.

A motion was then made to approve BOTH agenda items at the same time with one vote.

For reference, here are the two agenda items ....

2. Consideration and possible action to ratify Resolution Number 2024-0702-001(R) to adopt and allocate funds for an outdoor fitness court as part of the 2024 National
Fitness Campaign.

3. Consideration and possible action to approve the funding requirement for the two National Fitness Campaign Fitness Court Studios with Local Artists in the amount of
$340,000.

When I questioned the City Commission why they  voted for two agenda items with one motion, the answer was that the two agenda items were related and totally legal.

The City Attorney was not present but a representative from his office was present but her opinion was not asked by the City Commission and she did not offer it.

My opinion as a citizen is that EACH agenda item should be voted on by an individual motion even if they are related.

Any thoughts on this is appreciated !!

J.R.

On 7/16/2024 at 11:47 PM, JRod said:

My opinion as a citizen is that EACH agenda item should be voted on by an individual motion even if they are related.

Any thoughts on this is appreciated !!

My thought is that would be putting form over substance, unnecessarily. I see extra time being consumed and see no benefit if no member wished to vote differently on the two items.

This is similar to the Consent Agenda (assuming that your council uses it the way that most councils do: one vote covers many different items). Are you oppposed to that? Would you be making the same argument if they had both remained on the Consent Agenda?

If any member wanted to vote separately on the two items, they could make that as a demand or, if the demand is refused on the grounds that they are related, by making a motion to do so.

Why do you have the opinion you do? The members who voted for the combined items have shown their position on both items just as clearly as if they had voted on each separately.

On 7/16/2024 at 10:47 PM, JRod said:

This is regarding making a motion to approve TWO agenda items with one motion by my local City Commission.

The two agenda items were removed from the Consent Agenda into the Regular Agenda.

They were both discussed/debated at the  same time.

A motion was then made to approve BOTH agenda items at the same time with one vote.

For reference, here are the two agenda items ....

2. Consideration and possible action to ratify Resolution Number 2024-0702-001(R) to adopt and allocate funds for an outdoor fitness court as part of the 2024 National
Fitness Campaign.

3. Consideration and possible action to approve the funding requirement for the two National Fitness Campaign Fitness Court Studios with Local Artists in the amount of
$340,000.

When I questioned the City Commission why they  voted for two agenda items with one motion, the answer was that the two agenda items were related and totally legal.

The City Attorney was not present but a representative from his office was present but her opinion was not asked by the City Commission and she did not offer it.

Since the two items are on related subjects, I see no problem whatsoever, even under the rules in RONR.

And the rules of public bodies often permit even greater latitude, permitting even unrelated items to be adopted by a single motion and vote, so long as no member objects. This is done because public bodies often have so many items to consider (many of which will be adopted unanimously anyway) that individually voting on all of them would be a waste of everyone's time.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.