The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Consent to Action language

Dayle Peterson

Our Board approves Consent to Action motions only when necessary per email. No discussion permitted. 
How should these, then, be handled in the next regular meeting?  We list them under “Consent to Action”  Motions but were told we must “ratify” each one at the meeting, even after they’ve been approved.

Thank you  

Voting by email is not permitted unless your bylaws say it is. So, presumably, your bylaws speak to how it is done (or else authorize other rules to do so). What do they say?

Disclaimer: Voting by email, depending on the type of organization, may also happen pursuant to applicable laws. If that applies, again, the question will depend on what they say.

On 8/1/2024 at 2:03 PM, Dayle Peterson said:

Our Board approves Consent to Action motions only when necessary per email. No discussion permitted. 
How should these, then, be handled in the next regular meeting?  We list them under “Consent to Action”  Motions but were told we must “ratify” each one at the meeting, even after they’ve been approved.

Thank you  

Agreeing with Mr. Katz, I’m afraid you are on your own here, both as to how email motions appear in your minutes and as to how and why said actions must be ratified. Is there a written rule somewhere that says this? Where is that rule? What exactly does it say? Is it in your bylaws? Special rules of order? Some other document? Or is it simply “a rule“because someone says it is?  Finally, what is the point of adopting something that doesn’t become effective until it is ratified? What happens if it doesn’t get ratified? Why not just wait and adopt it properly in the first place? I suppose there is a reason, and I am really curious to know what that reason or rationale is. 

On 8/1/2024 at 3:03 PM, Dayle Peterson said:

but were told we must “ratify” each one at the meeting, even after they’ve been approved.

Or what? Ask the person who told you this "What happens if the 'Consent to Action' motion is not ratified -- if the motion to ratify is defeated?"

If the Action occurred between the email vote and the meeting and it is not ratified, must the Action be undone?

On 8/1/2024 at 3:03 PM, Dayle Peterson said:

I recommend that your entire Board review whatever document creates this process (whether it's your bylaws, a law, or something else) so that you are all clear on how it is should be done. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.