The Official RONR Q & A Forums

political organization bylaws

lcmixon

At a political organizational meeting, the bylaws are adopted, but the chairman doesn't like them, so he decides to try and change them. The bylaws adopted say the bylaws can be amended with a 2/3 vote with the changes to be presented at the previous meeting. The chairman sends out the agenda for the next meeting as required by statute at week before the meeting and the agenda includes the bylaws that were adopted at the last meeting and the bylaws that were presented at the last meeting and he is proposed that they be adopted as new bylaws. Is this legal and within the parliamentary procedure? He says since he is using the same bylaws that were presented previously they have been presented.

Thank you

On 8/10/2024 at 7:00 PM, lcmixon said:

At a political organizational meeting, the bylaws are adopted, but the chairman doesn't like them, so he decides to try and change them. The bylaws adopted say the bylaws can be amended with a 2/3 vote with the changes to be presented at the previous meeting. The chairman sends out the agenda for the next meeting as required by statute at week before the meeting and the agenda includes the bylaws that were adopted at the last meeting and the bylaws that were presented at the last meeting and he is proposed that they be adopted as new bylaws. Is this legal and within the parliamentary procedure? He says since he is using the same bylaws that were presented previously they have been presented.

I'm not sure I fully understand what is going on here, but as I understand the relevant facts:

• The bylaws provide that the changes must be presented at the previous meeting.
  • The changes were presented at the previous meeting.

So it seems to me like this complies with the requirement in the bylaws. What am I missing?

On 8/10/2024 at 7:00 PM, lcmixon said:

The chairman sends out the agenda for the next meeting as required by statute at week before the meeting and the agenda includes the bylaws that were adopted at the last meeting and the bylaws that were presented at the last meeting and he is proposed that they be adopted as new bylaws. Is this legal and within the parliamentary procedure? He says since he is using the same bylaws that were presented previously they have been presented.

Like Josh Martin, I did not understand what is going on either. Were the proposed changes that the chairman wants actually proposed and presented at the meeting immediately preceding the meeting at which he wants to adopt the changes? The changes must have been proposed at THE previous meeting, not at A previous meeting. 

Edited to add: is the chairman proposing amendments to the bylaws or a complete new set (revision) of bylaws? That can make a difference.

it also makes a difference if the chairman is simply re-proposing the same set of bylaws or bylaw amendment that were rejected at the last meeting.

I’m not sure what he is doing based on your description.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last three paragraphs

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.