The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations from the floor

Guest Brianna

Our membership bylaws allow for a nominating committee slate and also nominations from the floor.  Our bylaws refer to RR if not in bylaws. My question is, when a person is nominated from the floor does that person who is nominated have to be present for the nomination to be valid? A prior commitment that cannot be changed is the only reason they wouldn't be.  I have been trying to find in my RR book but do not see this specifically addressed. Thanks!

Guest Brianna, the relevant section in RONR (12th ed.) is 46:46.  What book are you looking in? Are you looking in the official Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised, 12th edition?

46:46 Time at Which an Election Takes Effect. An election to an office becomes final immediately if the candidate is present and does not decline, or if he is absent but has consented to his candidacy. If he is absent and has not consented to his candidacy, the election becomes final when he is notified of his election, provided that he does not immediately decline. If he does decline, the election is incomplete, and another vote can be taken immediately or at the next meeting without further notice. After an election has become final as stated in this paragraph, it is too late to reconsider (37) the vote on the election.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added text of 46:46

On 8/12/2024 at 9:22 AM, Richard Brown said:

Guest Brianna, the relevant section in RONR (12th ed.) is 46:46.  What book are you looking in? Are you looking in the official Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised, 12th edition?

Yes I do have that edition, thank you so much for the clarification of 46:46! Got it!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.