The Official RONR Q & A Forums

which nominating committee?

Guest clt

On 8/21/2024 at 11:52 AM, Guest clt said:

If you have an nominating committee that was formed to fill vacancies for the January 2024 ballot, and then formed a new committee to fill the 2025 ballot; but had someone step down - which nominating committee fills the open role?

Someone stepped down from what—the list of nominees, or membership on the committee?

I agree with Mr. Novosielski that we need more information as to who stepped down from what.  

However, if it was someone on the 2025 nominating committee who  stepped down, I agree with Dr. Kapur that it would normally be up to the person or body which appointed or elected the members to that committee to fill the vacancy on that committee.

My previous response assumed that 

On 8/21/2024 at 11:52 AM, Guest clt said:

had someone step down

referred to a member of the nominating committee. If, on the other hand, it was a person nominated for office who stepped down, then the committee that appointed that person is reactivated. RONR (12th ed.) 46:17 "A nominating committee is automatically discharged when its report is formally presented to the assembly, although if one of the nominees withdraws before the election, the committee is revived and should meet immediately to agree upon another nomination if there is time." [emphasis added]

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.