The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Notice of Motion

Guest Shmuel Gerber

Guest Shmuel Gerber

If the mayor is a member of the council, he has the same rights as the other members.

"An office carries with it only the rights necessary for executing the duties of the office, and it does not deprive a member of the society of his rights "

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>CAN THE MAYOR introduce Notices of Motion and where might I find the statement in RONR?<<

You might ask the question this way:

Why CAN'T the mayor introduce notices of motion?

I can't think of any reason. Can you?<"

Thanks. I suspect that once the Notice of Motion is introduced, and returns at the next meeting for debate, the Mayor should step down as soon as the motion is announced if he wishes to debate the matter, and remain until the motion has been disposed wit"

Actually, the wording in our previous Procedural Bylaw allowed one member to introduce a Notice of Motion at one meeting, automatically placed on the following regular agenda for debate, once moved and seconded. However this proved to be a great nuissanc"

>>the Mayor should step down as soon as the motion is announced if he wishes to debate the matter, and remain until the motion has been disposed with<<

That depends on how large the assembly is. In larger assemblies, yes, that is the "

Archived