The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Limitation to Amend...Previously Adopted

Guest Rob Elsman

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

It would depend on the language of the original motion but in many cases (and, I think, in this case), the motion need not be rescinded, only amended.

And try to avoid such vague language as "central location" (Central America? Central "

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

Jennifer,

Good news.

You don't need Robert's Rules -- you need a dictionary.

As long as the bylaw (the original one about a "central area") is obeyed, then every year you can adopt an ordinary main motion which conforms.

Thank you both for the quick response. I did laugh at the 'carousel' comment - the mental image.... - but I will be sure to suggest very clear, non-vague language for the amendment. (Vague language got us where we are for the past 12 years, so I think sp"

Kim,

The "central area" criterion is not in the Bylaws; it was an ordinary main motion made at a membership meeting.

In that case, would you agree an Amendment to Something Previously Adopted is the proper way to proceed?"

>>You don't need to specify a new criterion, like "rotating".<<

Well they do if that's the intent of the amendment. It seems to me the group wants to hold the event in a different region of the country each year, and amendin"

Archived