The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Abstentions

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

Sheila,

Since you are dealing with customized wording, then it won't be possible to point to a page in RONR to "prove" that one interpretation is correct.

Under RONR:

• A blank ballot is still a ballot.

• A "

> 75% of those casting a ballot <

Perhaps there is some ambiguity, in which case your organization will have to resolve it. However, I don't believe that a ballot marked 'abstain' is being 'cast' in any direction. 'Cast' doesn't mean the sa"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

Trina,

>>'Cast' doesn't mean the same thing as 'turn in'.<<

kg: Yes, it does.

When Caesar said, "Alea iacta est" (the die has now been cast"), he referred to a rolling of dice (in singular form).

Caesar"

If the bylaws actually say "75% of those casting a ballot," the member did chose to cast a ballot even if he wrote "abstain." I would say yes.

I would add that this rule is specific to your bylaws and is not part of RONR."

Guest Gary c Tesser

It apparently didn't do the trick. Even has Mr Goldsworthy arguing with himself, which is never a good idea, as well as arguing with Trina, which isn't, either.

Kim, Caesar knew darn well he was voting. To cast die such that abstaining is possi"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>It sounds like your saying that in order to abstain during a ballot vote, the only way to do so is to keep your ballot and not return to the teller.<<

I don't think that's what Mr. Goldsworthy is saying at all. I think he's saying t"

Jesus and Peter were perhaps 'casting', yet not 'casting ballots'.

If one looks at the origins of 'ballot', namely the black and white balls dropped into a box, in that context it was impossible to cast an abstaining ballot. Each ballot dropped ("

Archived