The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election Irregularities

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

It's hard to know where to begin.

>>The By-Laws state that there can only be one candidate for President<<

Surely this can't be true. If it is, why have an election at all?

>>I asked the nomination committee to"

I think I'm interpreting what you've said somewhat differently than Mr. Mountcastle - hence my comments will be different.

I assume that the nominating committee nominated two people to serve together in the office of president (co-presidents), d"

Obviously I haven't explained myself well enough.

I probably did too little but I was trying to stay as removed from the process as possible since one of the candidates is related to me. I want to remain impartial.

Answering your specifi"

I think you did interpret it correctly and what you said makes a lot of sense. I have to look into this more this weekend and act quickly.

We had the election the other night but the new officers don't take office until the first of next month. I"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>I wish I wasn't related to a candidate it would have made it much easier.<<

That's beside the point. You should have fulfilled your responsibilities as president. You seem like a reasonable person. Don't you think you could have bee"

You are right. So, at the next meeting, someone should make a point of order that the election of co-presidents violates the bylaws. You should rule the point of order well taken. Someone may appeal from the decision of the chair, so be prepared to defend"

And, Frank, to be perfectly clear about your responsibilities as president - you preside over meetings, including meetings in which elections are held. Being related to a nominee, or even if you are a nominee, doesn't change that responsibility. If you "

Archived