The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RESCIND

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

1. No, but previous notice will lower the voting requirement from a two-thirds vote to a majority vote.

2. No, any member may make the motion.

3. A majority with notice or, without notice, a two-thirds vote or a majority of the entire me"

1) What amount of time is considered appropriate "previous notice"? How is this determined?

2) I thought it had to be someone who had originally voted to support the motion.

3) When you say "majority of the entire membersh"

I am still not clear on the time period required to constitute sufficient notice regarding RESCINDING a former motion.

Would notice have had to be given at a previous board meeting? Nothing in our bylaws addresses this time period and I checked R"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

Giving previous notice at the preceding regular meeting will work. Otherwise the notice must be given "a reasonable time in advance".

But if you can muster a two-thirds vote, or the vote of a majority of the entire membership (of the bo"

And the way "reasonable" gets defined for the situation at hand is...

Let us say the rescind motion passes by a bare majority of voters - not 2/3, not majority of entire membership.

After the vote, the chair declares the rescin"

True. But if the members stay alert there shouldn't be a problem with an Appeal succeeding. In any case at least a majority of those who voted needed to be in favor of the recission. So if the motion to Rescind is adopted there would be enough votes to"

Archived