The Official RONR Q & A Forums

secretary cast single ballot

Guest Dan Honemann

Guest Dan Honemann

>>Would I actually have to take a piece of paper and write down all the names of the candidates, with their positions, to constitute a ballot?<<

Yes, you should.

For all the details, see Q&A 186 on page 477 of PL (if you "

I would imagine if the issue was forced that the Secretary would cast the ballot the same as any other time. The ballot would be filled out and put in the ballot box (or given to the teller or whatever your normal procedure is) and then the teller would "

> For all the details, see Q&A 186 on page 477 of PL (if you don't have a copy it's about time you got one). :-) <

Thanks, I will look. I actually have a copy (not mine) on inter-library loan. Somehow they keep letting me renew it month"

> However, based on p. 399 I would argue that the election would be null and void if the Secretary was forced to disclose her vote per RONR p. 244(e). Also I would point out RONR p. 394 that a member cannot be compelled to vote and an adopted motion t"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

Trina,

>>Some members, including the chair, were clearly expecting me to do SOMETHING<<

kg: Rise to a Point of Information, or perhaps a Parliamentary Inquiry.

"Mr. Chairman, what is the procedure when the secretary is or"

Guest Robert B. Fish

I think the problem we're skirting around is that many members are uncomfortable with the idea of not being able to cast a vote for SOMETHING related to the election of officers. In their minds, an election means voting, even if there is no opposition to"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>Bylaws do not call for a ballot vote<<

Then, if everyone wants the secretary to vote, she can simply vote by a show of HAND. She could make a motion to vote by ballot but that's making something that's already silly, even sillier.

> Then, if everyone wants the secretary to vote, she can simply vote by a show of HAND. She could make a motion to vote by ballot but that's making something that's already silly, even sillier. <

Well, I agree that it seemed silly as it was"

> So, the idea of the chairman simply declaring those nominees to have been elected, makes them uncomfortable due, in part, to the fact that rule is not well known outside RONR-geek circles.

The idea of voting to have the secretary cast a unan"

General probably also thought the ladies should wear a rubber girdle.

Nowadays, where the thing hasn't been dropped altogether, I think the secretary's casting a ballot on the behalf of the assembly should more likely be thought of in a purely fi"

> kg: Rise to a Point of Information, or perhaps a Parliamentary Inquiry.

"Mr. Chairman, what is the procedure when the secretary is ordered to cast a unanimous ballot?"

That'll shake 'em up! - They won't know. And they'll likely"

>>Or does RONR prohibit this practice entirely (on some page I'm not finding at the moment)?<<

The practice is not prohibited entirely.

If the Bylaws do not require an election by ballot, a motion to have the secretary cast a"

>>How is it in order to tell someone how to vote? How is it in order to tell someone that her vote counts as more than one-person-one-vote implies?<<

As I see it, the procedure of having the secretary cast a single ballot is not a tru"

Guest Dan Honemann

>>As I see it, the procedure of having the secretary cast a single ballot is not a true vote, but a fancy ceremony.<<

This is absolutely correct.

The only vote involved is the vote on the motion to direct the secretary to ca"

Archived