The Official RONR Q & A Forums

3 way election

Guest Chris H

Guest Susan Sanders

Our procedure for voting is by written ballots handed out two weeks before our election meeting. It's done this way to accommodate absentees (it's a large organization), but has evolved to the point that almost everyone votes early and attendance at the a"

Do your bylaws specifically permit absentee voting? If not you can't use it (RONR pp. 408-409). If absentee voting is provided for then it will be up to you all to work out the details. However, RONR doesn't recommend mixing absentee and present votes "

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>Should we just revote with those who attend?<<

Well, that's all RONR would permit to vote in the first place. But you appear to have rules permitting absentee voting (or at least opening the polls outside of a meeting) so you're on "

Guest Susan Sanders

Our Bylaws do permit absentee voting but state only that in the case of more than one candidate running, that a simple majority wins. But with three, and if the number one vote getter is still under 50%, that's not a majority as I understand it. Am I corr"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

Susan Sanders,

>>Our Bylaws . . . state only that in the case of more than one candidate running, that a simple majority wins.<<

kg: This may be a problem.

There is no such thing as a "simple majority" in RONR T"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>There is no such thing as a "simple majority" in RONR Tent Edition 2000.<<

I don't think anyone is claiming that "simple majority" means anything other than "majority". It's a widely used term to stress"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>People who don't know what a simple majority is will confuse it with plurality.<<

I suppose SOME people might (some people are capable of almost anything) but in her original post Ms. Sanders clearly indicates that she knows it mean"

Archived