The Official RONR Q & A Forums

who attends executive session

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

I probably don't know what is good for me but I must disagree with Mr. Mountcastle and Mr. Goldsworthy (which I very rarely do). RONR p. 447 says, "Rights carried with the honor include the right to attend meetings and to speak,". That seems t"

Guest Weldon Merritt

<<That seems to suggest that the honorary member has a right to attend meetings whether in Executive Session or not.>>

I concur, assuming that the "honorary member" really is an honorary member. But unless the bylaws allow f"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

I'm inclined to think Mr. H has it right and I had it wrong.

But we usually say that a non-voting member retains all the other rights of membership. If that's the case I'm not sure why an honorary non-voting member can't make motions.

Or"

My guess is that the organization decided to have honorary members without really understanding or fleshing out what the honorary member can and cannot do (besides being non-voting) and that is why Ron would need to refer to RONR pp. 570-573 to answer you"

...and continuing the sentence on p. 447 the honorary member doesn't have the right to vote or make motions unless the person already is a member of the body or the bylaws grants full membership rights to the honorary member."

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>or the bylaws grants full membership rights to the honorary member<<

But the wrinkle is that, in this instance, there's not just an "honorary member" but a "non-voting honorary member". And the (perhaps rhetorica"

I agree that this organization probably didn't know what it was doing

Now THAT statement is undoubtedly true!

I've now found an updated set of bylaws, and the wording has changed: the immediate past board chair is an "ex-officio" me"

Totally. Provided that there is no qualifications an ex officio member has all of the rights of a member (RONR pp. 466-467). So the answer to your original question is yes he can attend the Executive Session, he can make motions, he can speak in debate,"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

See FAQ #2, elsewhere on this site for more on ex-officio positions.

And note that even if the chair is removed from office for malfeasance, he'll still be the immediate past chair and, therefore, he'll still be on the board."

Archived