The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Coordinators. Can they be Board Members?

Mariana

My Board of Directors consists of members of Executive Board of Directors and Committee Chairpersons. Most of Committees, in addition to a Chairperson, have 2-3 coordinators. Can coordinators attend Board Meetings? Do they have a voting power? Can they be a non-voting members of the Board of Directors and participate in discussions? Our Bylaws are mute on these issues. Thank you for your help.

My Board of Directors consists of members of Executive Board of Directors and Committee Chairpersons. Most of Committees, in addition to a Chairperson, have 2-3 coordinators. Can coordinators attend Board Meetings? Do they have a voting power? Can they be a non-voting members of the Board of Directors and participate in discussions? Our Bylaws are mute on these issues. Thank you for your help.

If bylaws are silent, the non-members definitely cannot vote, and they cannot be given permission to vote (at least not without amending the bylaws). They would not normally have the other rights either (attendance, participation in discussion/debate), but the assembly (the board) can vote to permit them to do those things. To allow a non-member to participate in debate would require suspending the rules which normally prevent participation (suspending the rules takes a 2/3 vote).

To allow a non-member to participate in debate would require suspending the rules which normally prevent participation (suspending the rules takes a 2/3 vote).

But, since a board can discuss a question without a formal motion, I wonder if a non-member can be permitted to join this discussion by a simple majority vote. In other words, is this informal discussion different from debate on a formal motion? I'm inclined to think it's not, that you'd still need a two-thirds vote, but I wonder just how relaxed those relaxed rules can get.

When you say "suspending the rules" do you mean "one time suspention", "for life" or both? Thank you.

A motion to suspend the rules "for life" is out of order. The rules may be suspended, at most, for the duration of the current session. If it is desired to change the assembly's rules for a longer period, then the proper procedure is to adopt a special rule of order. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 85, lines 14-20)

But, since a board can discuss a question without a formal motion, I wonder if a non-member can be permitted to join this discussion by a simple majority vote. In other words, is this informal discussion different from debate on a formal motion? I'm inclined to think it's not, that you'd still need a two-thirds vote, but I wonder just how relaxed those relaxed rules can get.

If no question is pending, a majority vote will suffice to allow a non-member to speak.

Any rule creating non-voting members would have to be in your bylaws.

Agreed, but I think a special rule of order would suffice to allow specified non-members to speak in debate.

Archived