The Official RONR Q & A Forums

VERY IMPORTANT Election Question

Guest gillianrbennett

Guest gillianrbennett

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I was recently involved with an election, where a director from the bored was nominated from the floor for President. She has know she was going to run for over 3 weeks, does she have to resign her prior position first before accepting the nomination?

PLEASE IF YOU CAN HELP ME IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

email me at gillian_benne50@hotmail.com

I was recently involved with an election, where a director from the board was nominated from the floor for President.

She has known she was going to run for over 3 weeks.

Does she have to resign her prior position first before accepting the nomination?

No.

Why would she? -- If she:

(a.) resigned from the board; AND

(b.) won the election for the office of president;

then you'd have a president who wasn't a member of the board.

Is that what you want? -- A president who isn't a board member? :huh:

No.

Why would she? -- If she:

(a.) resigned from the board; AND

(b.) won the election for the office of president;

then you'd have a president who wasn't a member of the board.

Is that what you want? -- A president who isn't a board member? :huh:

...our assoc. has always followed an unabridged version of Roberts Rules of Order. where you have to write a notice to vacate and position (in the middle of term) 30 days before the general meeting, before running for a position....

If this book, whatever it is, is specifically adopted in your bylaws as your parliamentary authority, then follow it. However, there is no such rule in RONR (the official current version of Robert's Rules which forms the basis of discussion on this forum). The fact that you have done it this way for 25 years doesn't matter -- custom falls to the ground if it is found to be in conflict with the written rules (i.e. bylaws and parliamentary authority).

our assoc. has always followed an unabridged version of Roberts Rules of Order. where you have to write a notice to vacate and position (in the middle of term) 30 days before the general meeting, before running for a position. It has been done this way for over 25 years and it is apart of our "grandfather rule" (gentleman's Curtice type of thing).

With all due respect, that makes no sense.

Firstly, RONR is the unabridged version of Robert's Rules and there's nothing in it about a 30-day notice. Perhaps you meant an abridged version? If so, you're not using the right book.

Secondly, just because something's been done one way for over 25 years doesn't mean you have to do it that way forever. Maybe it's time to start doing it the right way.

Archived